The Official Carrot Thread

Sarah_Mom2Four

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
OaklandCityFarmer said:
Carrots usually need warmer weather to germinate, so I'm guessing yes, this should be fine. Do summers get terribly hot there? If so, then they might not be the best thing to do now, I'd wait until about July to plant them that way you could get a fall crop by September.

As long as summers are too warm you should be fine. Sometimes prolonged hot weather can give carrots a bitter taste.
It just got into the 80s for the first time all year here yesterday. I think this week will be low 80s, we might hit the 90s eventually but it's normally a heat wave :p I hope that's not too hot, I suppose I can try and if nothing else I'll just scrap them and know I tried :D Thanks so much!

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sarah_Mom2Four said:
It just got into the 80s for the first time all year here yesterday. I think this week will be low 80s, we might hit the 90s eventually but it's normally a heat wave :p I hope that's not too hot, I suppose I can try and if nothing else I'll just scrap them and know I tried :D Thanks so much!
Good idea and good luck! What's the worst that can happen? :p

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As soon as I can get outside (fire smoke. Oakland, we have your fire crews here, along with many others, and the National Guard.) I'm going to plant my next round.

My last ones, 2 weeks ago, came up in a week, or maybe a little less.

This year I'm giving myself a break and not growing carrots to seed, and just planting a mix of varieties, so it'll be a fun batch! :)

Go for it, and good luck! :)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tutter said:
As soon as I can get outside (fire smoke. Oakland, we have your fire crews here, along with many others, and the National Guard.) I'm going to plant my next round.

My last ones, 2 weeks ago, came up in a week, or maybe a little less.

This year I'm giving myself a break and not growing carrots to seed, and just planting a mix of varieties, so it'll be a fun batch! :)

Go for it, and good luck! :)
Smoke? wow, scary. I remember the fires in So Cal years back. Trapped us down there that time.

Good luck and be safe!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you, it's a bit nerve wracking.

We had a freak thunder strorm. They may get them closer to the mountains, but we rarely do, and never at this time of year. The lightning started over 400 fires from Monterey, I believe it is, to the Oregon border.

100 were in my county alone, which is now up to 130-something. The smoke is very bad, and 2/3 of the fires are unmanned, as they are trying to get more support in here, especially air support, as many of them are not near roads.

There have been evacuations, and were more this afternoon. Some mandatory, some voluntary. But basically everyone is on standby. That our home is at the edge of a forest is an added concern.

Oakland units were some of the first out-of-area ones in our county, but now they are from as far down as San Diego, and I imagine out of state next.

I had several gardening projects planned for the weekend, but there are some major air quality problems/health issues, as you must know from having experienced this. So they are on hold. At least the little carrots already planted seem happy and healthy enough! :)

Also, you and I, and Beekissed, should compare notes on the late corn we were all going to plant at about the same time. :)

Again, thank you. I'm staying in, and being watchful.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's really crazy Tutter. I use to volunteer summers in LA/Orange County at the fire department, making fire breaks, feeding hoses and scouting fires. They can be really intense. Keep you in our thoughts.

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
Thank you, it's a bit nerve wracking.

We had a freak thunder strorm. They may get them closer to the mountains, but we rarely do, and never at this time of year. The lightning started over 400 fires from Monterey, I believe it is, to the Oregon border.

100 were in my county alone, which is now up to 130-something. The smoke is very bad, and 2/3 of the fires are unmanned, as they are trying to get more support in here, especially air support, as many of them are not near roads.

There have been evacuations, and were more this afternoon. Some mandatory, some voluntary. But basically everyone is on standby. That our home is at the edge of a forest is an added concern.

Oakland units were some of the first out-of-area ones in our county, but now they are from as far down as San Diego, and I imagine out of state next.

I had several gardening projects planned for the weekend, but there are some major air quality problems/health issues, as you must know from having experienced this. So they are on hold. At least the little carrots already planted seem happy and healthy enough! :)

Also, you and I, and Beekissed, should compare notes on the late corn we were all going to plant at about the same time. :)

Again, thank you. I'm staying in, and being watchful.
We were camping when that storm hit! It was 108 and then there was rain. The lightning started a few fires around the campgrounds, which was scary, but they got them put out.

As for the carrots, I would love to grow some, but I believe its too late. I'll just have to wait!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tutter, the corn has been a slow grow, as we have had some pretty cool and damp weather here. The biggest is about a foot with uneven growth in all beds. Looks like I won't be getting optimal growth this year, at all. The newest bed is only a couple of inches tall and, again, uneven germination abounds. Also, the cussed dogs seem determined to trample that particular bed the most. May have done too much damage now to salvage. Next year......you wait! :rant :lol: No suckers yet to speak of but will still do our non-scientific experiment. I used to grow such lovely corn.... :hu

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You never know, Beekissed, it might surprise you...let's hope so! :)

OEGB, I'll bet that was scary! We had lightning for a long while, and even though it was warm....hail fell!

Have you seen this map? Map

Some of that information is outdated. Since it came out there have been 3 more areas evacuated. Also, the # of uncontained fires is 107 (In my county.), with new ones being reported.

So that we haven't totally hijacked this thread, I don't think it's too late to plant carrots. I plant them every couple of weeks. The ones I planted last are up and doing great! :)

I decided just to have fun and planted mixed carrots, all kinds, and that might be best for you, too, if you can find something like that. Then you won't be relying on one variety to do well there. If one doesn't, another will. Besides which, it's fun to pick all shapes, sizes, colors and flavors of carrot! :)

Thank you, Oakland, I appreciate that a lot. :)

That must have been interesting, if hot and tiring, work!

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
WOW! That map is crazy. Its really smokey here. My grandma said there are 800 or so fires burning throughout CA, I dont know how true that is but her and my grandma do watch the news all day,lol. I dont think we have any too close to us though. Good to know about the carrots, I dont think I have room at the moment though!

Latest posts