The Official Carrot Thread

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So because this is the official carrot thread I've made an Official Carrot Post for reference. This does not contain all information carrot but could help with some info. Also, I am not saying that these are the only methods that work but methods that have worked in my own experiences. Please add as necessary.

A few varieties:
Thumbelina. Good for containers and heavy soils.
Chantenay Red Cored 2. Good for containers and heavy soils.
Danvers Half-long. Good for containers and heavy soils.
Nantes Half-long. Good for containers and heavy soils.
Carotene 200. Good fall and winter producer.
Scarlet Nantes. Old time favorite. Sweet and good producer.
Topweight. Resists most carrot pests and diseases.
Royal Chantenay. Very sweet

Cool Varieties:
Belgian White. White skin and flesh.
French Round. Almost complete round.
Sinclair's. A yellow variety.
Dragon. Purple skin with orange flesh. Highly nutritious.
Rainbow. Grows as a variety of pastel colors.

Soil: carrots prefer a moist but well drained soil that is deep and loose at about a 6.5 pH level. Compost should be added at the beginning of the season but do not *over* compost as this may cause forking. Never use compost unless it is FULLY finished as this too may cause forking.

Planting: Direct seed carrots since transplanting may cause forking. Carrots need warm soil conditions (around 80 degrees) to sprout and will usually come up in about 7-20 days. Plant seeds about 1/4 of an inch deep spacing them about an inch apart. It is very important to keep seeds moist and to ensure soil does not crust over preventing the sprouts to emerge. As seeds begin to germinate thin them when they are an inch tall. Or you can broadcast the seeds in a small trench and cover with soil, first thinning when they are an inch tall to about 1 inch spacing. After about 3 weeks after germination thin again to about 3-4 inches apart. More space for larger varieties. To have a continuous crop stagger planting weeks apart. A fall crop can be planted 2-3 months before the first frost.

Watering: At least 1" of water per week is required. Water deeply to promote root growth. Sandy soils may require more frequent watering.

Fertilizing: Many commercial *root* fertilizers have been marketed for carrot production, use discretion. Most of the time regular, FULLY finished compost works well as a side-dressing. Avoid excessive nitrogen as this may cause forking.

Harvesting: Carrots an be harvested at any time really once the roots have started to establish. *baby* carrots are usually harvest when the roots are about 4-5 inches long and tops 1/2" in diameter. For full sized carrots they can be harvested starting at 3/4" diameter tops to 1-1/2". Simply pull from the base of the carrot top or foliage and remove the carrot. Be careful not to damage the carrot. Wash and store in a cold (32-40 degrees) place with high relative humidity.

Companion Plants: Tomatoes (makes sweeter carrots), radishes (makes tender carrots), marigolds (helps prevent against nematodes)

Good luck!

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a good trick, Rosalind, which works. I also mix in some organic coffee grounds, to help with carrot pests.

There are too many carrots out there to list, but here are a few varieties I'd like to add:

Saint Valery ~ It's an old variety with a smooth, uniform root. Sweet and tender, with little core. The skin is bright reddish-orange; high in carotene. It produces well, and keeps well in the ground. 10"-12" long, with wide shoulders.

James Scarlet Intermediate ~ Dry enough to hold in the ground. Good freezer. Good flavor and high in carotene.

Early Market ~ Early baby carrot. (2"-6") Good summer crop, and multi-purpose: fresh eating, freezing, canning, pickling.

Autumn King ~ Large carrots of good color, crisp, high yielder. Good for winter storage, and will hold in the ground under snow.

Two more things about the, Belgian White: it's productive, and good for people who can't tolerate carotene.

Excellent idea for a post, OaklandCityFarmer! :)

Texas Fluffy Feet

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm having carrot troubles so thought I'd post them here in the official carrot thread. I planted Danvers half long seeds in cotainers 6 weeks ago with Miracle Gro potting soil. They sprouted some time ago and the tops grew up about 3" tall within a few weeks and they just seem to of stalled out there. I decided to thin them out to see if that helped but nope, nothing going on. The root was a couple of inces long. What's even more bizarre is of the 3 pots of them I have, one pot is now totally bare. What the heck eats carrot tops? They are in the sun and adequately watered. Is this variety just a slow grower?

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Still waiting on my third attempt at sowing. One week has passed.... [taps toes impatiently] !

Bought two MORE packets of carrot seeds at lunchtime today. I'm going to get some sort of carrot out of that blasted dirt patch if it kills me!

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My carrot sprouts are doing well. A few of them are beginning to develop a second set of leaves. :) I've begun to thin them out, but I only had a few minutes this morning and was only able to thin out about 1/2 the planter box.

Reaction score
I've never heard of Dragon carrots, they sound very exotic! Does anyone have a picture of this purple and orange carrot?

I have regular carrots growing right now. I honestly cannot remember the exact name on the seed packet (bad plant mommy :smack ) but I know they were something that was supposed to get about 6 inches long *shrug*

I have grown carrots one other time, 2 years ago and I did not do too well. I waited and waited all summer long and only got 1 carrot that was about 1 1/2 inches long and a 1/2 inch around :gig It tasted great though, for what it was worth!

This time I've planted in a raised bed full of awesome rich black soil that is nearly rock free. I planted two short 4-5 foot long rows. :fl
Here's hoping this works this time.
How on earth do I kkow when they are done? Uncover some soil from under the tops to check the width of the root?

My seedlings now are about 4" tall and nice and bushy.

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Pineburrow!

Here's a photo I found for you:

Carrot

I think by now everyone knows my method for checking veggies...pull one! :D But, yeah, check the top with your finger to keep from depleting your carrots as you wait! ;)

Good luck! :)

Reaction score
Thanks Tutter, What an awesome looking carrot!!!! I want some! :rainbow-sun

Well I know I'll be tracking those down for next years garden. I would try to find some now but I have no room left to plant anything!

I need to get my DH to make me another raised bed for next year ;)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bountiful Gardens (They have a site, and you can get a catalog.) has purple dragons.

I usually can grow only one variety a year, because the spacing for taking them back to seed is huge. But this year I'm growing a mixed bag of varieties several acres, and out of the wind tunnel, from the one going back to seed, and one is their purple dragon. I can let you know at the end of the season how it went. :)

Garden beds are like chickens....you can't *really* have too many, you just have to find a way to fit everyone comfortably. :D