the perfect culinary rose

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just made rose cookies ..they are to die for ..and I thought to myself I can do better on my "rose" I know I can! I can grow roses ..not great at it but I have some nice ones!
so why not keep looking by asking you brilliant gardeners ..
I want to know from you what you have grown personally or even had a friend that grew ...that you would think would be the ulitimate in culinary roses

I make my own rose water and use dried rose petals a lot in cooking ...and I am not much of a baker but when I do I have a few things that call for rose that are I think wonderful!

help me please ...tell me about a rose that will stand aroma wise to making an essence, a water and just drying for baking and cooking

thank you so much I can not wait for the replies!

hook me up with the best culinary rose and you get a batch of cookies and the recipe :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
have you smelled/tasted it Hattie?

if this is the one then I have to mail cookies to Oxford!

(you already have the recipe :) )

the color looks perfect on that one I wish we could smell and taste through the computer

does anyone grow roses for culinary use?

if not you should! they are so versitile

rose jelly is a wonderful condiment

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Depends on exactly what use. Rugosas of any variety get nice big hips for jam and syrup. I used to have an Apothecary Rose (Rosa gallica) but I haven't checked on it for a few weeks--that was also nice. I have an Aimee Vibert noisette that I just planted this year, hasn't bloomed yet, but supposedly smells powerful. I used to have an "Evelyn" David Austin rose, but it got really really mad when I transplanted it; supposedly that one was bred for use by Crabtree & Evelyn for perfumes. It smelled good, but not overpowering.

I am very partial to the rugosas: Good for jam, tea and syrup, easy-peasy to grow, forms thick spiny hedges that keep the bratty neighbor kids from jumping my stone wall, looks nice enough that the town busybodies can't fuss at me for it, very much trouble-free and disease resistant. You can plant em next to a road that gets salted in winter, and they will do fine.

I guess the question is, how often were you planning to make what? Some bloom only for a short summer season, others keep blooming till fall.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi HiD :frow

Re: The "Ispahan" rose David Austin used to sell it here & the smell is amazing but I have never grown it. A friend of mine used to have it in her garden & she made rose-petal jam with it & also candied them for her cake decorating exploits. The jam was delicious!

:rose Hattie :rose

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Rosa damascena triginipetula, or the Kazinlick Rose, is the one I'd go for. I have a piece of it in my garden from the Herb Society's garden up at Elm Bank. The scent is to die for. Mine is from a root cutting, it's still small, I'm hopeful that next spring it will come into its own!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi! Reinbeau :frow

I knew you would be the one to answer this question -- with all your experience. :bow

I shall see if I can find it here & get a cutting if I can....... :fl I can usually get them to take.

Thanks for the name, you are a mine of info-- we are very lucky to have you! :bouquet

:rose Hattie :rose

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh Hattie, thank you, there are other people here who are just as knowledgeable, I'm just particularly interested in fragrance and taste :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Reinbeau said:
Oh Hattie, thank you, there are other people here who are just as knowledgeable, I'm just particularly interested in fragrance and taste :)
you guys are great I agree fragrance and taste are the reason for all my gardening ..well that and eye appeal! this sounds like the perfect rose you guys I will have to send lots of cookies!

I am going to try to find this rose if anyone sees it online please let me now in the meantime I will call my favorite nurseries and see what they can do for me

I hope I can find one :) thanks so much I think this must be the rose!