The stairs are gone . . .

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That uh, staircase of Digit's, it uh, needs 2 sets of sure grip handrails on both sides, plus a grappling hook and a pulley! Maybe even a winch...but sure looks cool!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
What about just starting out with lots of boards cut in triangles?]
Ya, sure, just what this crippled ol' lady needs for a restful few weeks in the orthopedic section of the hospital. With hand rails I just MIGHT make it up, but I fear going down would be one big step for me. I guess I should have mentioned I want stairs the dog can use as well. Those would only work for a mountain goat and I have no goat pets at this time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I stained and got the first coat of polyurethane on the stair sides and stained the risers. I hope to be able to put a second coat on the sides and get the risers coated for the first time. DH and DS are in the workshop making my steps.

It is starting to look pretty promising for getting finished by the end of this week or early next week. Once all the polyurethane is on (3 coats sanded between coats), it is just a matter of putting them together.

The wood they found is beautiful -- almost knot-free and even grained! So much nicer than I've seen in the local home improvement stores. It is going to look very nice when done.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
So glad that things are moving right along! They should have it done in 2 weeks - right?:p

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
canesisters said:
They should have it done in 2 weeks - right?:p
Yup! In one 'two weeks' or another. Everything is looking up. . . er. . . down from my director's chair.

I have the second coat on everything I can. They are still working on the stair treads so I can't get to those yet. I rather think the treads are the most important part of finishing my stairway? Sigh!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't think i'd want to go down those stairs with out the treads on them! not unless you have a
studsmatta.gif
underneath them! :p

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Stair up-date: The treads are stained and drying. I should get them their first Polyurethane coat yet today. Iff'en I can get the second coat on Wednesday, they should be able to assemble the stairway on Thursday. I've decided to wait on the third coat until the steps are on. That way I can seal the joints.

Now remember, Red, don't coat the steps on the way down. Don't coat the steps on the way down. Don't. . . there's nothing in the basement to keep me occupied for the 6-10 hours the steps will take to dry.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Make sure your grappling hook and rope is down there just in case...

:hide

Latest posts