The stairs are gone . . .

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yea, we never did get a photo of the end results of this step by step process!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I loved those stairs, DigitS! Until I thought of dusting everything. . .

I was going to show off MY new stairs when they were done, but I guess -- in DH's mind -- it's just not time to finish them yet. The railing is still waiting for polyurethane (my fault) but the trim was never put on so I could give the whole thing a good polyurethane coat.

As I mentioned once, my house is built like Johnny Cash's car, one bit per year. The problem is, I know where the unfinished parts are. I know where my pantry is supposed to be. I vacuum the holes between the brick and the wall where beams will sometime be set. I even cleaned off the plaster board for the garage ceiling stacked for 40 years. Some day all those parts will be finished, but not too soon. Confucius says, "When a man finishes his house he dies". I'm in no hurry to get the thing finished. Son will probably be doing the last few bits well after we're gone.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good idea Smart! Save some work for the kid to do. I vote for getting some of the things he'll need to do it, stack it up in the rafters or something like that, and add some messages to each stack for him to read when he gets around to doing it.

After you're gone, that'll be like 40 years. Hmmm, something great that ages for him to find, like some fine islay scotch. 40 + 16...shoot, he'd have a bottle of 56 year old islay scotch he'd find when he gets around to it!

SHOOT!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Shoot , Marshal ... why store a bottle of scotch for 40 years ? Haven't you heard that one sips it for medicinal purposes when one needs it ? (like after sitting down near a roaring fire to warm up frozen fingers and toes and sore throat and runny nose and aching back ad whatever else after shoveling 3 ft. deep snow off the roof ). :caf

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yabut Bob... you give a 56 year old bottle of scotch to someone and that person will be naming their kids after you. for untold numbers of generations!

Try it sometime Bob! Give a 56 year ole bottle of a fine Islay Aberlour or Lagavullin to someone. Watch what happens. Next kid they have will be named BobM Junior ...even if it's a girl! ...and and and... Live long enough and that kid will have a kid named BobM the III 'rd!!!

See? And ya don't even need to be the dad!

Have another 56 year old bottle of Lagavullin to share with them when the kid is born and you'll be the kid's godfather too, and you'll probably inherit their fortune!

See? Amazing what powers a 56 year ole bottle of the essence of Islay has!!!

If ya think 12 years is good, and ya decide 16 is better, 56 is is so smooth astronomers measure the smoothness of the mirrors in their telescopes against it!

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Yabut Bob... you give a 56 year old bottle of scotch to someone and that person will be naming their kids after you. for untold numbers of generations!

Try it sometime Bob! Give a 56 year ole bottle of a fine Islay Aberlour or Lagavullin to someone. Watch what happens. Next kid they have will be named BobM Junior ...even if it's a girl! ...and and and... Live long enough and that kid will have a kid named BobM the III 'rd!!!

See? And ya don't even need to be the dad!

Have another 56 year old bottle of Lagavullin to share with them when the kid is born and you'll be the kid's godfather too, and you'll probably inherit their fortune!

See? Amazing what powers a 56 year ole bottle of the essence of Islay has!!!

If ya think 12 years is good, and ya decide 16 is better, 56 is is so smooth astronomers measure the smoothness of the mirrors in their telescopes against it!
Well Marshall ... No waiting for 56 years fo this kid ... about 45 years ago, I gave this girl a cordial glass full of 5 - 6 month old Krupnikas ( old secret family recipe that is several hundred years old ) . She was so impressed that she said YES. :celebrate We had another glass of Krupnikas on our 1st anniversary :bouquet and 9 months later she delivered BobM Jr. :D And YES, I am the dad then became the grand dad. :plbb This liquor is so smooth that guests have been known to check out the smoothness of our oak floor under the dining room table. :lol:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband complete most projects to about 99%. He says if he finishes I will just get another "great idea."
Smart Red said:
I loved those stairs, DigitS! Until I thought of dusting everything. . .

I was going to show off MY new stairs when they were done, but I guess -- in DH's mind -- it's just not time to finish them yet. The railing is still waiting for polyurethane (my fault) but the trim was never put on so I could give the whole thing a good polyurethane coat.

As I mentioned once, my house is built like Johnny Cash's car, one bit per year. The problem is, I know where the unfinished parts are. I know where my pantry is supposed to be. I vacuum the holes between the brick and the wall where beams will sometime be set. I even cleaned off the plaster board for the garage ceiling stacked for 40 years. Some day all those parts will be finished, but not too soon. Confucius says, "When a man finishes his house he dies". I'm in no hurry to get the thing finished. Son will probably be doing the last few bits well after we're gone.