the Ukraine?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is looking ever more serious.

It is hard for me to believe that people are fighting to join the EU. I guess the alternative is very unattractive:

Kiev Riots Pictures (link)

Most recent news was about riots spreading to other neighborhoods with government buildings and something about soccer fans being encouraged to come out and beat up "outsiders." That sounds seriously ugly.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
New story in the Guardian about family members of China's ruling and military elite having offshore investment accounts . . .

Thailand's government just declared a state of emergency. Protests in Thailand and the Ukraine seem to be on parallel tracks.

digitS'

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Prime Minister has resigned.

(Link)

The Prime Minister is not the center of power in the Ukraine, I guess. The president seems to be trying to hold onto power by throwing the cabinet under the bus.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I hear or read about a revolution, I first get a feeling of hope and satisfaction, thinking that "hey, this country is going to provide a better, more peaceful life for its citizens." But as the bloodbath wears on, and on, and on, and we see the corruption and hate surface, my feelings of hope fade and this uncomfortable, long-distance horror sinks in. I see it, hear it, and thank God I am not in the middle of it. At least, not yet. Who knows what tomorrow brings, for even the most comfortable people.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good Heavens! The president of the Ukraine has fled the capital.

The legislature has voted to impeach him. Protestors are all over his estate.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Maybe he can take a hint when the police start joining the protesters?

That was the relatively easy part compared to what's coming. Everyone was united in their hatred for the president so that made success possible. But now you have people widely divide in how they want to go forward. I'm afraid it will really get messy now while they sort that out.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We can hope for only limited involvement from outside.

Eyes are on Russia . . . Can the EU get its act together well enough to help?

Wow! I check a satellite map or two for clouds & snow and look what's happening on the other side of the world! On our side of the world . . . just how popular is that Venezuelan government?

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Live stream Ukrainian television: (Link)

4.5 million have tuned in over ?? period of time. The scene was just the darkened EuroMaydan Square. Yeah, the place with all the burning tires, confrontations with riot police, and, recently, snipers killing protestors. Only a guy singing a cappella to the crowd and it sounded like a priest reading a prayer, while I was listening.

The former Prime Minister, the pretty lady who was imprisoned for the last 3 or 4 years, is supposed to speak to the crowd sometime soon.

Steve