The Value of Fresh Seed

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seedcorn, I felt there was something not quite ethical with the practice, especially when he would tell the customers one thing, then do another, but I couldn't do anything about it.
Not sure if ethics are involved unless advertised as 1 year old seed. The best AG companies do not blend seed. Even though germs may be the same the vigor (how fast they germ and take off) can be completely different. Evenness of germination is the most important thing.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Two comments here: I saved some seed from some store-bought sweet peppers, to see if I could get something "similar" by planting them. The seedlings are very puny and growing slowly. They were probably a hybrid. I read that "most" hybrid fruits make sterile seeds, or that won't thrive. Maybe this is what is going on.

The other thing is, I discovered that my light timer has gone kaput, so the lights over the plant table are staying on 24/7. Has anyone found this to retard growth? Do plants need a certain amount of dark in order to grow properly?

I can't remember exactly what I learned about this in Biology class (so long ago!), but in the process of photosynthesis, what the plant does at day is different from what it does at night. It has to do with the exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen, I think. The second consideration in day/night cycle is that it affects the triggering of bloom time for some plants, and some differently than others, some needing longer dark periods to make them bloom (think Christmas cacti). I would also expect that the plant would be stunted or shorter because it would not be reaching for the light.

ETA: On the subject of age of seed: I do keep mine well past the recommended number of years, but my reasons have more to do with preserving my own stash of a variety and not having to plant them all out every year. That is why I keep all of my seed in the freezer. Just as it prevents your food from degrading, it preserves the starches longer. I wouldn't worry about saving something commonly available for 10 years, but I do need my heirloom beans, tomatoes and peppers to hang around that long. I've noticed too that those less vigorous seedlings will take right off once they're planted out in the dirt.

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm going to just have to start turning the lights on by hand in the morning, and off at bedtime. I had a feeling 24 hour "sunshine" wasn't good for the seedlings. Don't know why I hadn't notice this before now. Need to open my eyes. :rolleyes:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I may have to reassess my resistance to freezing seed.

I have cooked
the seeds
that were in
the freezer

and which
you were probably
saving
for a casserole

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
altho a little olde

digitS' DW

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS', I am curious how old the pepper plants are in your first picture. When did you plant them, if you don't mind saying?
(They look great, by the way!)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, now I am really bummed! I can't find the date I planted my "questionable" pepper seed, but on Feb 22, I wrote that they were about an inch tall. Now, a month later, they are about 1.5 " tall, and most have only one set of true leaves. Yours were planted on the 22nd, and look ready to set out. :hu
Maybe the Marconi I just planted will do better.

I never promised you a pepper garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know about being ready to set out. I will get a picture of some that have gone in the 4-packs when I can get them out of the utility room and back into the greenhouse (put it on the "inside starts" thread).

For the purpose of this conversation (i guess), you will see how the Giant Marconi is doing the best. Seedcorn has pointed out some of the things that contributes to seed vigor. (Or, as W Churchill would say, "vigour!")

I don't know much about it but we used to talk about "hybrid vigor" and admit to its usefulness. I don't think that is all that is going on with the GMarconi. Carmen is another hybrid and it's back in the pack with the others.

Beyond loss of seed vigor, I think conscientious breeding programs have a lot to do with our production successes. It isn't enough to just tag something with a name.

I wish, especially with my tomato plants, that I could grow dozens each of the 20 or so varieties I have and be very selective about which I save seed from. Can't do it.

Steve
whose grandfather used to pay property taxes by taking his team of mules out to labor on county roads.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
On the other thread, HPQ has reminded me that I can now admit to having the Thessaloniki tomatoes show up! So, incredibly late!

I know that there are techniques for germinating olde seed. Or, at least, encouraging it. Greater warmth is one of those. My seed starting is a little cool for tomatoes and almost too cool for peppers. Despite sprouting, the 5 Jalapeno M couldn't free themselves from the seed case.

The Thessaloniki & others have lots of room now! I very carefully "pried" the other seedlings away from them so those others could go on to 48 in a flat. Thessalonikis should be able to keep up with some from seed I sowed a couple of weeks later.

Steve
edit: i wonder why spellchequer let me get away with spelling it "tessaloniki" . . ?

Last edited:

Latest posts