The World is Changing

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We got rid of cable TV. The cost was outrageous for the garbage they offered. We still have an internet connection for our business websites, and we bought a Roku box. We get a lot of free TV. It may not be all up to date, but we don't watch much TV. We splurged and got a subscription to Netflix. We find a lot of good movies and TV there, especially documentaries and history shows....and, we have not watched a commercial in over 2 years!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
No TV here either...went most of my life without TV and didn't miss a thing. I'm very thankful to have a washer and dryer, though...those are quite the luxury, as is running water...especially hot running water. I thank God each and every time I step into that shower. :love

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I totally agree on the water. I went 6 years without running water. We build our house without loans, -and we were young, without great jobs. Hot showers are great!
The only thing I miss about the outhouse is an awareness of the night sky. I usually get up at least once a night. Easy to catch a spectacular northern lights display, shooting stars, nice moon. I don't see those things as often now.

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
A lot of people do that. I used to do that when no one else was home. Now, I talk and sing to the dog!

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Somehow, from reading this thread, I get a sneaking suspicion that a lot of us would have liked to be born in the first half of the 20th century.

I remember when we used to visit our grandparents on the farm in Virginia every summer they had a phone that would ring, but a different ring for each of the 3 or 4 parties on that line. We kids would pick up the phone and try and listen to other people's conversations, but my grandmother would shoo us away telling us "Don't be minding other people's business."

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Except for current medical advantages,(I have an ICD implant) I would do just fine in an earlier age. Goes without saying (but I'm saying it), I could survive, but I would need to have my DH along to make it well. He is my rock, my hunter, my scout, my natural science expert, and my jack-of-all-trades.

Latest posts