TheEasyGarden's Great Corn Experiment! *Come Join In*

redhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hello Tutter!..yes, i'm sure i will love this site..its great to hear real people growing gardens...(books just dont always cut it)..and thanks for the info of harvesting it early for sweeter corn...IF i get any!..lol..i'll keep you posted..thanks..;o)......P.S., yes , i already planted it..about a week ago.and NOTHING so far!.but its been very cold and rainy where i live(western Ma.)so i'm wondering if my seeds went bad in the soggy soil..actually..NONE of my seeds have germinated..i planted them all the same day..carrots,bush beans,radishes and my favorite, corn!;o(

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Welcome to the thread, and the site, Pate4ever! :happy_flower

Spring Treat is another one that should be fairly early for you. It's sweet, and the plants are more compact than many. I'll be interested in hearing how it grows. :)

That's wonderful, we're happy to have you participate! :)

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, dear, Redhen! I hope your seeds are okay. Could some have washed away?

Some wouldn't be up yet, probably, like the carrots, and some will be objecting to the colder temperatures, perhaps, but it would have made you feel better if *something* had come up, I know.

I know some people wouldn't do this, but I think I'd just give the corn a little peek. If there's something wrong with it, at least you can plan to go and get more. If it was just planted a little deep, and hasn't made it through yet, well, you'd know soon enough.

I've got no experience growing in your area, but I do know that wet and cold aren't a very good combination for some seeds and seedlings.

How is the bird and rodent population there?

My fingers are crossed for them all to just be a little chilly, and stubborn! :fl

*Waiting for Redhen's seeds to sprout* :pop

redhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i have sprouts!!..LOL..4 corn sprouts!..lol...((pathetic!!..i know!!))..and also a few bean sprouts..and..i think 1 radish sprout..LOL....keeping fingerss crossed!..thanks..Wendy

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah! :dance

That's great! I'm so glad that they are coming up! :coolsun

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Warmer weather will help with the sprouting redhen. All the rain probably cooled the ground and slowed them down. Did you soak your seeds before planting? I find that this really helps speed up the sprouting process, as to simply putting the dry kernals in the ground.

I have the "peaches and cream" variety, which are all sprouting nicely in the last few days. I would be willing to sacrifice a row to this experiment. How does one know what "suckers" are the ones to prune, and which are the ones that will produce ears??

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi, Bills!

That would be great, we'd love to have you join in! :)

You would leave the main, center stalk, and remove the "suckers" when they are small, if possible.

The bi-colored corn in cream and yellow is very popular here, and Peaches and Cream should have nice sized ears on a lower plant. My Painted Mountain is the same way, and I love how early it is. :)

I also soak my corn before planting. I'm glad to hear that yours is coming up nicely. :happy_flower

redhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
thanks for the tip bills...i'll have to remember to try that next year!...and i'm getting alot more sprouts since its warming up...so its looking good!..thanks..Wendy

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Tutter said:
I was thinking that we could be a good test group. To see if corn is, or is not, better when the suckers are removed from the mother plants.

Being that we are all growing different corn varieties, and are from different areas, it won't be a sterile scientific experiment, but those same variables should give us the answer we are looking for, and make it interesting. :)

To participate, all you need to do, is post under this post, and let us know what type of corn you are growing.

Then, as your corn grows, you will need to choose a row, or section of your corn, and remove the suckers from the mother plants, while leaving them on the others.

As they grow, you might want to come in and note if one plant seems hardier, or larger, than the others. Or if one has earlier ears, or larger/smaller ears.

Then, the true test....tasting! Once you are ready to pick corn, we'd like to know how the ears in each group look....and taste!

Yep, that's right. In the name of the experiment, you must eat some from each group! Torture, I know, but am sure you will all sacrifice for the good of the whole! :happy_flower

:coolsun

Alright, go forth, and hoe! :tools

(This is an idea of my own, and has not been sanctioned by the site. I wouldn't want to give anyone the wrong impression on that.)
I'm dying to find out--- did anyone do this, and if so, what are the results ? I wasn't able to grow corn this year, but can't wait to give it a try next year.

jhm47

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
As a nationally certified crop advisor, I have some information on field corn only. In many plots, similar to what has been described here, the suckers are detrimental only cosmetically. They also do not seem to enhance yield. I cannot say how suckers affect sweet corn, but I would bet that it is the same.

It is always interesting to experiment like this, and I encourage everyone to try it.

Latest posts