Thinking About Tomatoes Already

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just realized that @Pulsegleaner reminds me of Charlie Brown, grown up as a gardener ;).

@PhilaGardener , all I know is what I can quote from the internet :). You don't play Beethoven on the piano, do you??

Black Cherries are very tasty! Think "Bing" ..!

;) Steve

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just realized that @Pulsegleaner reminds me of Charlie Brown, grown up as a gardener ;).

I wish ! At least Charlie Brown had something passing for hope and on rare occasions actually managed to have pleasant experiences, or get back at those who oppressed him. The only Charlie Brown I'm like is the one in the song the one who wonders "why is everybody always pickin' on me?" I'm Eyore and Marvin the Paranoid Andoid in outlook, with a healthy dollop of my own belief that all of my bad luck is my own fault, that it is divine punishment for trying.

As far as I', concerned I may actually be in the suburbs but I live on Misery Farm (link to the song, on the grounds few people probably know it anymore,
)

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I like the flavor of the black tomatoes. My wife was the same way she wanted NOTHING to do with them when I first grew them. I planted them because off their description and how everybody raved about them.

I tasted them and liked them but my wife was not impressed. I told her close your eyes and take a bite.

She closed her eyes, I offered her a piece of a black Krim and she really liked it. Now I grow a number of black tomatoes many at her request.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thinking about the tomatoes in the room next to me :)

My Desters are finally turning red :) I got a late start by only getting them planted in early Oct or late Sept. Either way, the first one that popper out from its flowery home just started to get a red tinge overnight.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See, the visual thing is like the taste thing - subjective.

DW again pointed at a picture of black tomatoes, this time on the cover of the Tomato Growers catalog. "Those are pretty." How should I interpret that? Best for me to just ignore her.

She does not like strongly flavored tomatoes! Black, in my limited experience, tend to be very flavorful. It's a limiting relationship.

On the other hand, I didn't realize that there were so many mild varieties until I began exploring. Often, those are pink or yellow.

Me, I have trouble with names ... Sweet Quartz ... I'm not biting into that! I could chip a tooth!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Pulsegleaner, it sounds like you should find a community garden to play in, or rent out a garden space from someone who can't manage it anymore. Just like digitS', you could have gardens strung from hither to yon.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, that is sort of the semi plan. We don't actually HAVE a community garden around here (or to be honest anywhere to put one, most of the houses in my area have my sort of space issues). But when I get some personal matters taken care of and have the freedom and ability to do so, I am looking into going to a local place that DOES sort of do the kind of stuff I do and might be willing to work with me, which would also have the bonus of giving me the labor I need for some of the larger projects, the kind best done with BIG fields and equipment I don't have and cant afford (like full sized greenhouses with internal heating)
Me, I have trouble with names ... Sweet Quartz ... I'm not biting into that! I could chip a tooth!

Steve

You think that's bad, there's a blackish tomato of German origin called Indishe Fleish (literally, Indian's Flesh). Sounds like a tomato for cannibals (not to be confused with a Cannibal's Tomato, which is a different species of Solanum) and racist ones at that.

Not that I'm much better at names. A while back I stumbled on a pair of white tomatoes in one of those heirloom mixes really fancy supermarkets and farmers markets sell. I made a point of saving them as they were the sweetest tomatoes I ever tasted; sweet enough that they really HAD crossed the line between vegetable and fruit, these could ONLY be used as dessert (it's the only time I ever found a tomato that the flavor of vinegar or salad dressing destroyed) And when I tried to make up a name for it (not knowing what it actually was, with its near transparency and visible internal veins, the only name I could come up with was......Peeled Eyeball.

And of course there is my semi serious breeding plan with regards to creating a black peach tomato (a black tomato with a fuzzy skin) Since I feel that there are already too many fuzzy tomatoes with peach in their names, should I ever get it to work, I plan to honor my cat with it and call it.....Cassia's Hairball!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thinking about the tomatoes in the room next to me :)

My Desters are finally turning red :) I got a late start by only getting them planted in early Oct or late Sept. Either way, the first one that popper out from its flowery home just started to get a red tinge overnight.
Being in MN there must be a greenhouse. Any photos posted? I want to see.

Latest posts