Thinking About Tomatoes Already

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nice setup @SprigOfTheLivingDead !
Dh has bugged me to try some indoor growing, but I get so busy with my craft business in fall I run out of time.
You are an inspiration!

Thanks! I have this tent and some T5s setup for germination and sprouting. It's good for me, and our oldest kid really enjoys helping too.

I plan on expanding next fall to have another tent as well. Double the fun :)

Last edited:

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's sooooo cold out there but you guys got me out of the house to explore all the seed jars and pill bottles out in Smiles' potting shed. Man! There are thousands of tomato seeds out there. There are seven one-quart Mason jars out there full to the top with tomato seeds. All of the labels have fallen off!!! There is a small pile of paper labels laying on the dirt floor under the shelf where the jars are. There are about fifteen small pill bottles of tomato seeds - some clearly labeled and not so clearly. I'm pretty sure these little bottles are his SELECT group that he cherished. These are the ones that I will start in the greenhouse in late February. I do know that all of the seeds out there are OP or heirloom seeds.

The labels that I can read are:
German Johnson
Brandywine
Chocolate Stripes
Golden Jubilee
Great White
Oxheart
Psamanthe
Matt's Wild Cherry
Black Krim
Mortgage Lifter
Cherokee Purple
Roma

I've got some big shoes to fill around here - and I don't mean size either.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Smiles, here is a good place to learn about what IS labeled : Link.

You'll notice that the link opens on Psamanthe. I was curious about that unrecognized name :).

If you are also curious about the origin of the variety, you will trace it right back to that guy in Kansas City, Keith Mueller. You just have to follow the trail thru a Purple Haze F1, another of Keith's crossing of heirlooms.

:) Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smiles Jr. What a wonderful gift! Merry Christmas! You have gardener's gold in those jars. Now all you have to do is reorganize, plant, identify and enjoy. You can look at seed companies online for pictures that will help you when you start getting tomatoes from those seeds. And you can always post pictures here and all your TEG friends will be delighted to help you!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
this tomato is actually BROWN fuzzed which should give a very hairball-esqe appearance. I'm just going for something a little darker, a little smaller, and probably a little rounder (though, like most cats, Cassia's actually hairballs look more like turds, so I should probably be looking to make a sausage shaped tomato.)

uh.... no. I don't think that tomato is up my alley ;)

Latest posts