Thought of TEG Cat Owners

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
With the next Lunar New Year, it will be the Year of the Rabbit.

There's some practicing going on already.

zcabbit.gif

i hope that isn't too large of a gif for the TEG forum.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Kitten number 2 got adopted a week or two ago and seems to be settling in just fine. Kitten #3 is at the vet getting neutered today.
How much does this cost where you are?

My friends daughter is taking her little female to be done this week. The last I heard it was £70. But the local rip off vet in our town is charging her £160

5 years ago they offered charity vet were offering locals too get their cats done for free

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think it’s $75 (£67) here without a discount. But you can get a free coupon from the local animal animal shelter which brings it down to $50. There’s also a charity place that will do one female animals for free plus a rabies vaccine. And if you have a stray problem they will do TNR. We also have a rip off vet. Nearly everything is double there and they’ve sold us meds that expired 2 years prior. (Edit: Males are $35 with discount)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think it’s $75 (£67) here without a discount. But you can get a free coupon from the local animal animal shelter which brings it down to $50. There’s also a charity place that will do one female animals for free plus a rabies vaccine. And if you have a stray problem they will do TNR. We also have a rip off vet. Nearly everything is double there and they’ve sold us meds that expired 2 years prior. (Edit: Males are $35 with discount)
You really have reasonable vets there.

Imo the fluctuation in prices should be monitored. I think charging such high prices is totally wrong and they should be forced to pay back what they have taken with compensation. 🧑‍⚖️

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You really have reasonable vets there.

Imo the fluctuation in prices should be monitored. I think charging such high prices is totally wrong and they should be forced to pay back what they have taken with compensation. 🧑‍⚖️
It’s so reasonable here since we’re dealing with a country vet in a poor area. It’s insane what some places get away with charging. Prices in the nicer areas around Birmingham can be astronomical.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Get the guv'ment involved, @Marie2020 ???

Here's what the local animal control outfit has to say about animals under their care. "Most need surgical sterilization (spay/neuter). Many are sick or injured from trauma, abuse and neglect, and need critical, life-saving care. The cost of this care, even with discounted veterinary services, approaches $200 per animal and the County does not fund these needs." emphasis is mine

So, there is a separate non-profit foundation that pays for vet services at the government shelter. emphasis is mine ;)

My daughter lives and works, nearby. (Actually, on the wrong side of the border ;).) She donates directly from her job paycheck each month.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Get the guv'ment involved, @Marie2020 ???

Here's what the local animal control outfit has to say about animals under their care. "Most need surgical sterilization (spay/neuter). Many are sick or injured from trauma, abuse and neglect, and need critical, life-saving care. The cost of this care, even with discounted veterinary services, approaches $200 per animal and the County does not fund these needs." emphasis is mine

So, there is a separate non-profit foundation that pays for vet services at the government shelter. emphasis is mine ;)

My daughter lives and works, nearby. (Actually, on the wrong side of the border ;).) She donates directly from her job paycheck each month.

Steve

for the price of such care it might be worth it for a place like that to have vet on staff or on retainer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@marie, there are neighbors about 1/2 mile away who always seems to have 3 cats on their front porch when I drive by.

In a side yard, and placed against the house, are 2 little houses about 2 or 3 feet off the ground. They look a good deal like the one in the video. I decided after seeing them several times that they must be for the cats. In our climate, I suspect that they may have heat.

It's probably a situation where the cats aren't welcome to be indoors. You know, a lot of people are allergic to cats and then there are those who want no animals indoors. It doesn't necessarily mean that they don't like animals.

Steve

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@marie, there are neighbors about 1/2 mile away who always seems to have 3 cats on their front porch when I drive by.

In a side yard, and placed against the house, are 2 little houses about 2 or 3 feet off the ground. They look a good deal like the one in the video. I decided after seeing them several times that they must be for the cats. In our climate, I suspect that they may have heat.

It's probably a situation where the cats aren't welcome to be indoors. You know, a lot of people are allergic to cats and then there are those who want no animals indoors. It doesn't necessarily mean that they don't like animals.

Steve
Good all round, the cats are cozy and the mice stay away :)