Three Sisters Garden

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Tanks, how exciting!!! I think it's funny that my first garden (this year) started with a post containig a grassy yard too. :D So far I'm composting along with hopes to be planting in a month or so.
I can't wait to follow your progress. I'm planning to try a mini version of the 3 sisters too - just a couple of hills/mounds/groups.. Anyway, I wondered about the corn too since I only wanted to grow corn meant for eating right off the plant. Some said that the sweet corn wouldn't be strong enough so I'm planning to keep some t-posts handy to shore things up if necessary. We'll just have to see how things grow.

You've got a GREAT start!!! :clap

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks. I hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew!! :p

Actually Journey said that the HYBRID sweet corns might not be strong enough. I am only using heirloom seeds. But still I need to be able to grind the corn. I don't want gummy like everyone is saying.

I'm going to back on you tube and see if the video mentions what type of corn was planted.

thanks again,

gina

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Thanks. I hope I have not bitten off more than I can chew!! :p

Actually Journey said that the HYBRID sweet corns might not be strong enough. I am only using heirloom seeds. But still I need to be able to grind the corn. I don't want gummy like everyone is saying.

I'm going to back on you tube and see if the video mentions what type of corn was planted.

thanks again,

gina
I'm the one that mentioned gummy. Different corn is going to act differently. Some dried supersweet corn I crushed was gummy. I don't know if yours would be. If you have a few extra seeds, try grinding some of it to see how it does. It may be fine.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Family Grain Mill and the directions (yes, I actually READ the directions) say no flint or popcorn. They recommend dent corn for grinding. The flint corn is so hard that it could break or chip the grinder parts. I don't think the directions said anything about sweet corn. Stands to reason that all that sugary corn syrup slurppee would tend to gum up the works.

Really nice garden area and sorry about your chickens and turkeys. :hugs

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks BayMule,

I managed some soaker hoses this week.

I probably should have used black poly pipe with drips but I wanted something a bit easier.

IMG_0728_zpscbe8aca5.jpg

I have been thinking about the corn I am planning to plant. I went in my stock pile and found some kernels I saved, one labeled shoe peg, country gentleman. But then I started thinking about the corn I grind now. Its an organic kernel from Azure Standard. So different from the ones I dried. I think I'm going to plant it.

The corn on the left is the Azure corn and the right is the Country Gent I saved myself.
IMG_0724_zps721f75e2.jpg

Big difference.

The weather here is warming up quick.. The temps should be in the low 80's this weekend. I am thinking about putting in the corn. Might be tempting fate though. :)

gina

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
That Azure looks more like a dent or flour grinding corn

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Good. Thank you.

That's exactly what I'm going for.

Gina

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Just a note for myself to keep track.

Saturday/ Sunday 2 &3rd I planted the corn and various winter squash.

Butternut, Pennsylvania crook neck, pie pumpkins, spaghetti squash, dumpling squash, and that huge French pumpkin. Mosque De something.

I ran my soaker hose for a while and with a push pin added some extra strategically placed pin holes.

So far so good. I'm hoping for a bit of rain this weekend.

Gina

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Be sure to keep us updated (with pics of course :lol: ) Some of us don't have all that wonderful room and we live vicariously through those of you who have such nice big gardens!

Latest posts