Three Sisters Garden

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Friday March 8, Saturday 9th rained like the dickens. Everything got a good soak. Should be in the upper 70's by Friday and Saturday of this week. I'm hoping for sprouts.

Gina

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Musquee de Provence. is that the pumpkin you were thinking of?

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Yes that's the pumpkin.

I was a bit worried about my 3S garden. It seems to be a bit slow on the take off. But...... yesterday I was out watering. I decided to use a hose so I could surface spray the mounds.

I saw squash sprouts.:ya. It actually looked like the same plant in 2 or 3 locations.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Gina

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sprouts! Sprouts! Sprouts! Sprouts!
2uge4p4.gif

WHEEEEEeeeeeeeeee

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
3/19/13

21 out of 30 mounds all have sprouts.

:watering

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only been 16 days so far, so that's pretty good. Sometimes doing a second seeding is needed here and there.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you're having a cool spell sometimes setting a piece of plastic over the seedbed can help to keep them warmer.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't like to use plastic. It can't breathe.

I will mention I got some bed sheets for about $1.25 each at a thrift store a few years back. That's what I use for frost protection. I just borrowed some rock from Steve to lay on the corners to hold them in place. He was gratious enough to say I didn't need to return them.

minikoopa

Sprout
Reaction score
Hello, I found this thread through google and it's been very helpful. I thought I would share my three sisters garden with yall (Yep, I'm in Texas).

Let me first tell you about my soil. We have 10 acres with a creek in the middle, and everything is sloped towards the creek. There's an open pasture on one side which is the highest point, with about an inch of dirt and the rest is limestone rock. All the dirt has washed down to the creek. The dirt near the creek is really good but it's covered in trees. The other side of the creek is hard to get to and is also covered in trees. Also when I started this, the water company was replacing our water line and much of the pasture was off-limits. So my options were limited, but I settled on a part of the pasture that had a few inches of dirt on top of loose rocks with a good amount of dirt mixed in. The soil was very alkaline so I added sulfur. I added rabbit poop that had accumulated under our rabbit hutch for the last few years.

The garden is 20ft x 45ft with 22 rows 2 ft apart. I got 5 different kids of heirloom corn (2 sweet, 3 dent), 4 different kids of heirloom snap beans, and 3 different kids of heirloom pumpkin squash. I've planted the corn intermittently (2 weeks apart) to prevent cross-pollination. The corn is planted 1ft apart along the row. Each corn variety takes up 4-5 rows. The first one I planted didn't do well because that corner of the garden has too many rocks, but I have a few 10" plants. The next planting went well and they are 4" tall. My last corn planting is this week and I'll also start planting beans for the corn that is growing.

Here's where I have a question. I've read that the beans can be too much for the corn stalks, especially sweet corn varieties. Would planting fewer beans fix that problem? Like two per stalk instead of four?

And a question about squash. Yeah, it's going to be hard to get into the garden. So I need to know how far the squash leaves will spread from one plant so that I can have some space in between to step over them.

Anyway, I'll keep yall updated with pics. The corn seems to be growing happily so far. Seems like a crazy undertaking but I guess I'm a "go big or go home" kind of gal.

Latest posts