Thyme After Time

Do You Think of Thyme as A Good Go-to Herb?

• Total voters

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I lived in the sticks, I didn't have a greenhouse. (Hey, ya know @ducks4you and @flowerbug , maybe you should start a thread on greenhouse ideas for a windy location ;)). Anyway, I had a big veggie garden and only one narrow south window.

I'm sure that thyme would benefit from an early start and imagine that is what I did. They are such tiny plants but once started, they had zero problems in my garden! I had to learn to use it.

Steve

Edit: DW just went out to the greenhouse to collect some thyme for tea for her scratchy throat. They don't need to be in there but there are a few plants in containers :).

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got this because I was worried about snow load on greenhouse Home depot
upload_2018-1-21_17-7-30.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I lived in the sticks, I didn't have a greenhouse. (Hey, ya know @ducks4you and @flowerbug , maybe you should start a thread on greenhouse ideas for a windy location ;)). Anyway, I had a big veggie garden and only one narrow south window.

in the south side of a hill, well insulate the cold facing walls, use a lot of thermal mass, suck up heat in the summer and store it somehow so you can use it to extend the season into the fall using passive air flows, but otherwise let it go once the season gets too difficult to keep up with the cold.

when fusion energy makes energy so cheap as to be not worth billing (haha wasn't that what was said about nukes?) then you can afford to keep a greenhouse warm in the winter. otherwise, no, not worth it IMO when you compare what you'd spend for the greenhouse plus what you spend in higher taxes and higher energy usage... just not worth it IMO.