time to start thinking about purging your larder

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It is that time when I start pulling the stuff from the bottom of the freezer to the top and using it ..from the back of the pantry to the front and using it ..making room for what comes ahead

I have so much frozen kale in the freezer I need to think about what to do with it!
perhaps kale pie would be good or start putting it into other dishes

also have a bunch of soup stocks in there ..vegetable ..seafood and chicken need using

there are grape leaves I was trying to freezer tenderize I should get them out and try to stuff them to see if the freezer does work for softening the older leaves

thanks to the rhubarb bars from JoJo I am making those with the last of my rhubarb

I have a big bag of blackberries that may go to the chickens if I do not use them this week because they do loose flavor in the freezer

so what are you pulling forward and using up now?

time to start purging your larder !

I try to make it at least a couple of weeks with what I have on hand for the month of February ...no new groceries until I use a good deal of what I have stored ...

anyone else up for a Feb effort to use your stored food instead of shopping? How many days do you think you can go with out shopping for anything? ..I am shooting for two weeks! have done it in previous years with the last few days of eating pretty scant but doable!

I have cordials that need tasting and drinking ...as well as pickles and brined things

lets do it

purge your larders guys! save money and use up all that good food you put by :)

share recipes ...ideas and meal plans ...

time to start thinking about making room

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I did let my cubards go bare for a couple of weeks. It helps me to know what is in there. Apparently I will buy enchilada sauce anytime I see it and beets for some reason (nobody by but me likes them).

meriruka1

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I poked around in the freezer this weekend & realized I've got a ton of roasted beets to eat. (Genius me planted them all at the same time last spring :rolleyes:) So a big cauldron of Borsht is in the near future.......

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was organizing my canned stuff yesterday. My question is- what in the world can I do with cucumber relish???? Are there any recipes I can use it in? Lets just say, I have a little too much! Next year I will stick to mostly pickles. I can eat them at every meal!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have taken sweet relish and added crushed peppers to it and some extra vinegar and turned it into a chutney

check this out

take olive oil put it in a pan and slowly caramelize it ..slowly so it does not burn

cook it until most of the water evaporates and then add half cup or so ... it to soups stews or even a BBQ sauce ..it makes a great addition flavor wise

I made way too much relish one year and literally could not give it away...
you are right pickles are better

the other thing is home made tarter sauce ..lemon mayo and relish

home made chile sauce (just add it to ketchup with a little hot pepper)

the beets ..yum I can not imagine in my life I have ever had too many beets!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love sweet relish. I would make lots and lots of hambergers and hot dogs. the supper bowl is only two weeks away! Go Saints!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
obsessed said:
I love sweet relish. I would make lots and lots of hambergers and hot dogs. the supper bowl is only two weeks away! Go Saints!
there you go!!!! I agree go Saints!!!! that was quite a game huh?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It was really awesome. To see everybody come out for support like that was great. There was parties in the street and fireworks late in to the night. Even the local sporting good store reopened just to sell the championship shirts. A few coworkers went and got them. I look forward to Super Bowl. It will be the return of New Orleans son vs the home team.