Tip of the day.....

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
LOLOL, SL! Well, they already observe my property with much speculation and puzzlement.....they've never seen raised bed, no till, mulched, square-foot gardening before and people all over the county (I kid you not) corner me and ask what in the heck I'm doing! Ya' gotta understand, I moved into the land that time forgot....they garden like grandpa always did, they are very against anything different or new and they don't like outsiders...."furriners" they call us (we merely moved from the opposite side of the same state!) They watch the goings-on very closely, licking their chops and rubbing their hands over what "crazy thing" those outsiders are up to now! A "science experiment" will sure get those scanners to buzzing....yep, they ALL have scanners in their homes! I tell you, folks, these people need CABLE!!! The women at work were amused and amazed that I got chickens....."don't those grow in a long red building and get shipped out on big trucks???" and why in the world would anyone have chickens when they sell eggs in the store and they are clean and white? Maybe this will give you an idea of what I'm dealing with....the land that time forgot....and maybe with good reason!!! :lol:

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's a lot of pressure, because I'm sure you want to have a great harvest to show that the things you do aren't from outer space!

Sending special "Grow!" signals your way, from one outer space woman, to another! ;)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tutter, you kill me.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Stop! My gut is hurting!! I could sure use them(the grow waves) and yes, the pressure is on to prove that my "new-fangled" way of gardening is better than grandpappy's way of leaving bare soil and lamenting the dry years! After all, the whole county of kin is watching..... :rolleyes:

Nubsmum

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow, sounds like your neighbors don't have enough to do. Maybe they like paying the high prices for veggies and eggs at the store. I sure don't. Right now tomatoes are about 2 dollars a lb at the cheapo market. I am not buying tomatoes at that price. Mine aren't producing yet so we just go without.

Tell them the "brown Leafed ones" are imported swiss chocolate potatoes.

:tools

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck I like that one!!! Yes, my neighbors have created an environment that is very insular and inactive for themselves. You can drive by any given day, anywhere in this county, and hardly ever see anyone working a garden, doing lawn work or even sitting on their porch. They seem to have opted for the inside life....in one of the most beautiful places in WV! No kids playing in the yards, no dogs except on chains (bear dogs, usually), hardly any flowers, very few gardens. Very few people keep chickens as there are so many commercial growers....one can't live NEAR a barnyard flock and work in, transport for or own a commercial flock. Messed up, and good!!!

These folks slow down and nearly drive off the road every time we sit on our front porch....imagine what they do when they see us working the garden, having our weekend campfires, playing hide and seek with the dogs, or just communing with the chickens! :lol: Weird, I tell ya!

Latest posts