To those in south

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
. . .
Montanans live on average 76.7 years.
Californians live on average 76.71 years.

So ya see, Californians live a week longer.

Where's the doughnuts?
Up to the very last, I am not going to contest anything you say about Montanans and Californians - it all seems to have the ring of truth about it.

The CDC tells us that Montanans have a life expectancy of 77.74, Californians, 78.8.
California is #6 out of the 50 states. Montana is #23.

Our southern-most state, Hawaii ranks #1 but the list doesn't look too great for some of the other southern states . . .

National Vital Statistics Report, CDC

Steve ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Life isn't fair. People live longer in Hawaii which is considered paradise.

U r correct on south, shorter life span. Curious as to why?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Southern Gardener said:
Well, I have to admit I do love living in the south! I'd take the heat and humidity any 'ole day rather than freezing my buns off waiting until June to put something in the ground. Sunny and 80 degrees today! :cool: Sorry, my northern friends. :hugs
Oh, you don't have to apologize Joan! :hugs I'll take freezing my buns off and shoveling snow over heat humidity ticks chiggers humidity mosquitoes heat fleas roaches heat humidity bugs and heat and humidity any day! :lol:

We just whine to keep the population down. The rest is our little secret.
Hey sista! It sounds like you've spent some time down here! :lol:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Digit, my numbers were from memory of statistics that were old, but gotta admit, not all that far off. Ok, 3 weeks difference, lol!

Thistle and Mayaam, I just kind of like it in between best. That summer hot just melts me, and where I've lived 21 winters in Montana generally taking the coldest winters better than most Montanans, it sure is nice to put Pea seeds in the ground the day before St. Patrick's day, set out Bean plants April 13th, and to be able to plant Bean seeds in the ground before May some years. And, to still be picking Bean pods the 1st of December is awesome too. And then, to watch snow come down and look at the thermometer and it shows 35 degrees, that sure is nice too!

It'll hit a hundred plus during the summer on some days, and too many days'll be over 90, but that's alright.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Life isn't fair. People live longer in Hawaii which is considered paradise.

Maybe it only seems like it is longer in the north . . .

Olde Steve

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I cannot WAIT for the hot thick summer to hit.

Maybe I oughta replace the air conditioner that bit the dust last summer, tho. We've already had a couple days where the indoor temps were nearly intolerable. Outside, I LOVE the heat. Inside... not so much.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
You ever heard of Southern cookin'?

Part if it is that we are poorer with poorer health services. There is always a correlation with money.

An example is infant mortality rate. You'd have to have a whole lot of people living a couple years longer to make up for one extra infant dying.

http://www.statehealthfacts.org/comparemaptable.jsp?ind=47&cat=2

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
seedcorn said:
You ever heard of Southern cookin'?
:lol: FRIED FOOD!!! :gig

Fried okra. Fried eggplant. Fried green tomatoes. Chicken fried steak. Fried chicken. Fried catfish. Fried shrimp. Fried oreos. Fried corndogs. Fried corn. Fried eggs. Fried ham. Fried bacon. Fried sausage. Fried cabbage. Fried homestyle potatoes. French fried potatoes. Fried sweet potatoes(sliced-fried in butter and sprinkled with sugar). French fried sweet potatoes. Fried venison. Fried cheese sticks. Butter fried pecans. Fried oysters. Fried hushpuppies. Fried yellow squash. Fried zuchinni.................

Give us a pot of grease and some cornmeal or batter and we'll fry anything!

Oh, and don't get me started on the desserts!!!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Choice:

Eat healthy food with no oomph to the taste for 76.71 years

Eat foods like what BayMule mentioned and only live 76.7 years

Me: Hay Bay! What's the appetizer to go with that chicken fried steak? Is it done yet??? What's taking it so long??? Would it be done sooner if I help in the kitchen???

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay's chicken fried steak may be considered unhealthy but if you don't enjoy it now, when are you going to? Age 76.72?

I'll take mine with the sweet taters, fried corn, and buttermilk biscuits made with lard topped off with chocolate meringue pie. That'll do me for lunch. What's for supper?