Today's sun set/rise around the world

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Great pink snow. I am charging the camera battery as we speak, hoping for something tonight.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had a very colorful sunset, no pics. By the time that I had run back in to get my camera it was aalll over. :(

P.S.

Nice new avatar Kassaundra, that kept me on my toes! I was wondering... do you have any photography tips for the rest of us? I am on a birding forum and would like to know how to work real magic with a camera. That and I would like to document the local wildlife in some sort of a book. (animals along with plants/fungi and tips for field identification.)

Last edited:

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our sunset was boring, nothing. Not a cloud or wisp in the sky to catch any light, not even a contrail!!!!!

Thanks on the avatar. I participate in a weekly photo challenge and this week was self portrait, my choice for entry is either that one or one other, still haven't made up my mind but the deadline is soon so I need to make it up soon.

As far as pointers, take lots of pics, lots that way you have lots to chose from.

Get friendly w/ a photo editing software, either a good bought one like photoshop elements, or a free one. Play w/ it, learn what it can do. You can make a so/so pic great w/ a few easy tweaks in even the free ones.

When doing things like birds (or insects or wildlife) things that can spook easily and run/fly away, start taking the pics where you are when you first see them, zoom as tight as you can, then take a few steps quietly as you can and snap a few more shots, keep doing that until you have spooked it, that way you don't lose the shot while your trying to "get close enough" most cameras have a high enough mb that you can do serious cropping and still have a pic you can share on the computer, you won't be able to print one you had to over crop, but you can have a good pic on a monitor w/ a tinier file size than you would think.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a nice red sunset but no camera when I traipsed out to lock up the chickens. Oh, well. I need to remember to take it with me everywhere, but seldom do.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Same here Smart Red, I think I'll slide it in my pocket as soon as I wake up in the morning. If I can remember.

Thanks for the pointers Kassaundra! I've got both GIMP 2.0 and photo-monkey (?) on my computer so I'll monkey around with that. It sounds like I'll need a better camera to catch the Belted Kingfishers but most else should be relatively easy. Most of my pictures come out pretty blurry. There is one where I think the blur has made a good effect. What do you think? This is one that I found while cleaning out my storage space. It wasn't raining while I took this.

Forum Pics 037.JPG

Attachments

• Forum Pics 037.JPG
    Forum Pics 037.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 278

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Same here Smart Red, I think I'll slide it in my pocket as soon as I wake up in the morning. If I can remember.

Thanks for the pointers Kassaundra! I've got both GIMP 2.0 and photo-monkey (?) on my computer so I'll monkey around with that. It sounds like I'll need a better camera to catch the Belted Kingfishers but most else should be relatively easy. Most of my pictures come out pretty blurry. There is one where I think the blur has made a good effect. What do you think? This is one that I found while cleaning out my storage space. It wasn't raining while I took this.

View attachment 613
The blur gives it a water color look. I have one like that, and accidental blur that turned out way cool

28836_1400349021609_7597691_n.jpg

For the less expensive camera setups the one thing I would want more then anything for wildlife photography would be as short a lag time as possible (time between when you push the button to take the pic and when the pic is actually taken) the next would be real zoom ability not that second worthless number they give you, then mb size.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO, that looks like a Monet painting. I really like it. Mary

I agree with Mary. That photo is truly beautiful with an ephemeral effect I really like.

My sunrise on MLK Day was a non-event. No difference between the sky and snow -- both dark and grey. It was nearly 9:00 before the sun could be spotted hiding behind a thick cloud layer.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a nice clear sky this morning and it is about 52 degrees right now. I'm getting ready to go outside to play a while. Tomorrow's high is supposed to only be in the 20s. :(

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the complements on the photo!

That picture looks like an actual impressionist painting, Kassaundra. Is that white thing in the center a pigeon?

I sometimes like winter days like that when the circumstances are right, Smart Red. (No wind or sub-zero temps, lots of snow falling.) I've mentioned before that it's like getting lost at sea.

Another great sunrise this morning. I actual remembered to bring my camera this time too. Turned the darned thing on and it's broken! Looks like it's time to get a new one after all...

Latest posts