Tomato 2022

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm betting that is about 12 seeds. Take a measuring teaspoon and scoop up dill seed (packaged as herb seasoning). Dill is approximately the same seed size as a tomato.
High Mowing sells seeds in small amounts like this, and I noticed that when I ordered online last year.
Here is one example:
High Mowing primarily caters to organic farmers, and they've gotten more expensive for home gardener quantities in the last couple of years. They get much more affordable when you get into the middle and large quantities orders, and also with more common varieties, and their quality is tough to beat. High Mowing and Johnny's are pretty on-par with each other for both price and quality at farm scale. I miss their Sweet REBA acorn squash :(

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Isn't that funny. It's almost like my family, that likes cilantro, but I taste soap.

A few years ago I grew three varieties of cilantro, 2 that I'd picked out myself and one that was a freebie. One of them tasted like soap. That is the one and only time I've experienced the soap taste.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Isn't that funny. It's almost like my family, that likes cilantro, but I taste soap.
We can a lot of salsa, and neither DW nor I like cilantro. We use dill seed in our tomato salsa instead. Funny thing though, when we made roasted tomatillo salsa last year, we used cilantro, and it turned out well. Some flavors pair up better than others.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I thought this would interest some people. This is Tatiana from Tatiana's Tomato Base. It's a lot harder to get her seeds these days so I think this is a great opportunity!

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 6.15.42 PM.png

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i thought we might get into next week before having to start canning tomatoes but when i went out this morning to check for tomato worms i saw enough red tomatoes on the plants that it was time to pick them. i ended up with 2/3rds of a bucket which should be enough for 4-5 quarts. plenty more coming along eventually. for today's dinner it will be BLTs.

Latest posts