Tomato A La Fine' !

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have two tomato plants still going. These are the ones I planted in July for a supposedly second crop. The cherry bush is very bush but not to many blooms. And I planted a brandy wine that only grew ONE TOMATO IN ALL MY WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I may have two weeks till my frost but it definitely has cooled down a bit. Nothing so far has turned red... or yellow green...just green.

So for next year, I think I will do the spring tomatoes and maybe cut them back a bit or leave them be and hope they go back into production again. I just don't want to get skunked again.

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow

Hi Ron,

I came across these recipes this morning & I remembered those beautiful photos you posted of your late harvest of tomatoes -- So here is the link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/oct/04/nigel-slater-green-tomato-recipes

Nigel Slater's recipes are some of my most favourite ! He has written several very good cookbooks. He recently became very keen on gardening too. Hope you like his work. :frow

:rose Hattie :rose

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Hattie,

Can we say Decadent? Those are some extremely 'expressive' dishes, he is obviously a very expressive cook. Silly me I scrolled right into the pudding!! ummm now that sounds good! :gig

I am so please to say that I added an apple for every square foot of tomatoes and my Cherries are beginning to blush!

I haven't taken the time to explore any Fried Green Tomato recipes yet, I have resumed my horse manure collections and cooking has just been pushed aside for now. No cooking last night; instead we went to a Fine Chinese Restaurant...it was scrumptious and I had everything on the menu...oh I am sorry, cheap buffet! LOL

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My tomatoes are turning red!

Today I got two Brandywines and there are about 5 after these two that are turning.

Nearly all of my cherries have turned red!

I am happy to report the tastes are so incredible! Very intense and very spicey!

2e3u6tj.jpg

2cgyctz.jpg

I made tuna salad sandwiches with homemade bread. I also included my own dill pickles from my canning this summer!

oiun85.jpg

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
My tomatoes are turning red!

Today I got two Brandywines and there are about 5 after these two that are turning.

Nearly all of my cherries have turned red!

I am happy to report the tastes are so incredible! Very intense and very spicey!

http://i33.tinypic.com/2e3u6tj.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2cgyctz.jpg

I made tuna salad sandwiches with homemade bread. I also included my own dill pickles from my canning this summer!

http://i34.tinypic.com/oiun85.jpg
:bun :drool

I must say - so far the Brandywine is my most favorite tomato for eating fresh.

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wonderful! , Ron. :woot
So glad you get to enjoy your long awaited harvest!
I have not done the brandywine for a few years but have them on the list for next.
They don't produce quite the quantity as many others do for me but I miss the flavor... you're making my mouth water!

No fried green tomatoes yet ? You aren't missing much ... very blah if you ask me... but some people like 'em.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is hearsay, since I can't grow an 80 day tomato without the coddling that I just haven't been willing to give it. But, Brandyboy is said, by some who have grown it, to be nearly as flavorful as Brandwine and much much, more productive.

Prudens Purple was developed from Brandywine says Tomatofest and I do have experience growing that one :)! Some seed companies call it an "early Brandywine" variety. It isn't purple - I don't know where that idea came from. Prudens is pink like most Brandywines.

I was able to get a lot of big fruit with blushes before the first frost and, just a few, that ripened in the garden. Certainly, Prudens should be a good heirloom choice for folks who have just a little warmer nights and longer growing seasons.

Cherokee Purple is supposed to give Brandywine a good run for its money in terms of flavor and it is supposed to be a little earlier and more productive. We are back to hearsay for me on that one :rolleyes: but I'm tempted :p.

Oh, and green tomatoes . . . I'm just not a fan. Any recipe that I've tried with green tomatoes, tastes better if I would have used eggplant ;).

. . . just my 2.

Steve

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad to hear some of them are turning for you!

Nice to see so many good ideas for those that don't turn.

My plants are about 10 inches high, I wonder if I will get any from them.

Enjoy; Joe

Latest posts