Tomato A La Fine' !

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should say that pickled green tomato "something" would probably suit my taste. I like pickled cucumbers and pickled beets, even pickled green beans.

However, I cannot eat very many of these at a time :/. A little jar of pickle relish lasts me for months. A big jar of kosher baby dills . . . well, I better not buy a big jar of baby dills :rolleyes:.

Steve
who has a feeling that pickled eggplant would NOT be very good

PunkinPeep

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Great picture of all the green tomatoes in the cabinet! You should frame that. The colors are awesome!

Glad you're getting some yummy red ones! Looks great!

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I love Brandywine tomatoes, I usually get huge fruit and VERY tasty :drool
As for green tomato recipes, you could try...
1. green tomato pie-(made and tastes just like apple pie, but with green toms instead of apples)
2. salsa, relish or chow chow.
3. fried green toms-I've sliced them, dredge in seasoned flour (flour, salt and pepper) and fry in a little oil until browned on both sides. It's not too bad but not a favorite. But then I don't serve it on a regular basis only about once or twice a year as something different.
It's possible that alot of those tomatoes may never ripen up before going bad. Atleast that's happened for me. But then I end up overplanting to get a large crop for canning and end up with tomatoes coming out my ears at all stages of ripeness (or not) until I'm sick of them and never want to see another tomato again or atleast until next year when the process starts all over again. :lol:

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
please dont tell me you let all those tomatoes turn red without making fried green tomatoes. and how can you people possibly not like fried green tomatoes?! what is this world coming to? The WhistleStop Cafe was on my way on the drive back and forth to college so i used to stop in there and get some from time to time. man they were good. and i have been known to go all Tawanda! on some people from time to time..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm afraid to go back to the Whistle Stop.
The last time I was there, a woman rammed my car in the parking lot :ep.
She said she didn't care how old and feeble I was :hide, she had plenty of insurance was going to ram it again!!

Then I went inside and this big guy tried to put barbecue sauce on me :hu.

Steve's digits

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
beefy said:
please dont tell me you let all those tomatoes turn red without making fried green tomatoes. and how can you people possibly not like fried green tomatoes?! what is this world coming to? The WhistleStop Cafe was on my way on the drive back and forth to college so i used to stop in there and get some from time to time. man they were good. and i have been known to go all Tawanda! on some people from time to time..
LOL,

I did try 'Fried Green Tomatoes' and they were fabulous. I did them with fried eggs and hashbrowns as a breakfast dish. They were interesting! Now I can rest knowing I have had them! LOL

I wanted to report that absolutely every one of the tomatoes turned red! All of them (except the green breakfast dish) LOL

I managed to make 9 pints of Sauce with them and they are canned in the pantry! WooooHooo! This was done on Wednesday morning! I had already gone through all my sauces I did early this summer and was so disappointed that I did not have more...but now all is well and I will covet these over the winter months on pasta and other dishes (especially PIZZA!) LOL

I did manage to take pictures of all the red tomatoes to prove they turned such a deep red by use of ripe bananas, but sadly my camera broke and will not load them. I have them on the memory card and I should be able to post through a new camera one day.

I highly recommend the use of bananas for those 'end of season' green tomatoes. They even tasted just like they came ripe off the bush!

Thanks for everyone's help! :throw

Ron

cwhit590

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hmm....I was wondering if the flavor would be the same....good to hear they had the 'vine-ripened flavor' after all!
I think that would be a fun experiment for next year...to see how the flavor of a vine-ripened tomato compares to a banana-ripened tomato. :p I wanna try it!

I've only had fried green tomatoes once. They were good! But they were made en masse for a company picnic, so I dunno how 'authentic' they were? :idunno I do like fried okra too......:drool

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
cwhit590 said:
hmm....I was wondering if the flavor would be the same....good to hear they had the 'vine-ripened flavor' after all!
I think that would be a fun experiment for next year...to see how the flavor of a vine-ripened tomato compares to a banana-ripened tomato. :p I wanna try it!
Oh, you did read that these were Brandywine tomatoes. My cherry tomatoes ripened also, but I do not dare use those for canning--far too much water and seed. So since these held onto that vine-ripened flavor it may very well be the variety. So be sure and note that to yourself next year!

Ron

Latest posts