Tomatoes 2021

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary , if not, check out this site:
Interesting page. Thanks.

What does anyone see in Black tomatoes? I get the novelty. My one attempt was enough as they were diseased up and died early-Black Krinn.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, I detect a somewhat smoky flavor that is perfect for my salsa. They are also sweeter and not as acidic at least to me.

This year Black Krim did the best it's ever done. They were bigger in size and lots more of them. Maybe it's my climate and soil that makes a difference from your.

Mary

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Interesting page. Thanks.

What does anyone see in Black tomatoes? I get the novelty. My one attempt was enough as they were diseased up and died early-Black Krinn.
It depends on the variety @seedcorn, and of course personal taste preferences in tomatoes. I'm not a fan of Black Krim, a bit too acidic and earthy for me, but Black from Tula, potato leaf version, is a meaty favourite to my tastes. Cherokee Purple and Pruden's Purple (technically 'blacks' I think) are both meaty and sweet too. I have noticed that some black toms/purples toms love high heat, but others loathe it and do better in cooler weather. When they don't like the temperature, they are mush and prone to rot. But I will say that black cherry tomatoes....I don't know much what they taste like because the greyish colour of them on the vine makes they seem so unappealing! I eat every colour of tomatoes, but not grey.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, I detect a somewhat smoky flavor that is perfect for my salsa. They are also sweeter and not as acidic at least to me.

This year Black Krim did the best it's ever done. They were bigger in size and lots more of them. Maybe it's my climate and soil that makes a difference from your.

Mary
Glad you didn’t put in recipe that they had to be Black or i would have not tried recipe..... You can have my allocation of Black tomatoes....

Artorius

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Mary

I have grown Black Krim several times. I noticed that this tomato likes to burst due to large temperature fluctuations.
Their taste is also influenced by fertilization. Black tomatoes have a lower nitrogen requirement than red or pink. They taste bad when they are too nitrogened.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps a small step in a different direction, @seedcorn . It may take awhile to build tolerance :D.

Example: my resistance to purple potatoes. Resistance could have been expressed as, "why do people put up with such a difference from snowy white?" The taste and texture ... oh.

I also have trouble with names. Even a tomato named Lemon Boy was a high step for me 🙄 . Now, I'd be pleased if there is an improvement in its vigor so that they could be a more reliable variety in this climate.

Growing conditions make differences, as @Artorius points out - even in differences in flavor. Of course, tastes are subjective.

My one attempt with Black Cherry was for DW. It was a negative. Feeling adventuresome, DW wanted to try Black Cherry. She likes mild flavored tomatoes and didn't like Black Cherry. For me, they too often split - a negative.

I'm looking through the Osborne catalog; they have a Bronze Torch tomato. Maybe it's a Seedcorn compromise. I can't get there. They named that variety for a metal?? Okay, it's a color like Sun Gold. Cannot. No desire ...

Osborne has all those squash. Early Nutter ..? I watched Seedcorn's adventure with Honeynut but days to maturity listed is way too late. Just like Waltham Buttercup, which was too often a wasted effort. And Early Buttercup needs improvements (just like Lemon Boy), IMO.

Steve
grew Pruden's Purple for about 5 years. would have called it Pruden's Pink. miss it!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown Black Krim several times. I noticed that this tomato likes to burst due to large temperature fluctuations.
Their taste is also influenced by fertilization. Black tomatoes have a lower nitrogen requirement than red or pink. They taste bad when they are too nitrogened.

i've never tried them so no idea if they taste good to me or not. personal tastes are going to be very hard to describe or work around in selecting tomatoes i think it helps more to say what they do taste like in each situation and then let the other people decide if that is something they can work around. like perhaps in my case i wouldn't mind the acidic part or the earthy or smokey notes or whatever, but in the end if there's some kind of rotten fruit smell or taste going on it's going to trump any of the good aspects.

i just can't get my nose past rotten smells in tomatoes (i have no problem with fermenting smells in peppers in contrast but it can't be a fruity rotten smell like some of the habinero's have for me when i've tried pepper sauces made from them).

all of this is very amusing to me since i can get my nose past some rather smelly cheeses without a blink... :) [trying to figure out what a nose blink actually means, but it's morning so...]

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My one attempt with Black Cherry was for DW. It was a negative. Feeling adventuresome, DW wanted to try Black Cherry. She likes mild flavored tomatoes and didn't like Black Cherry. For me, they too often split - a negative.
Not all Black Cherry tomatoes are equal. The ones that I got the seed from Fedco are excellent. The ones I got the seed from Burpee's were not very good.

Neither of the ones that I grew would split. My main problem with Black Cherries is actually finding the ripe tomatoes in all the foliage.

I tried Chocolate tomatoes but did not care for the flavor. My neighbor loved them so I let her pick all of the Chocolate ones.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not all Black Cherry tomatoes are equal. The ones that I got the seed from Fedco are excellent. The ones I got the seed from Burpee's were not very good.

Neither of the ones that I grew would split. My main problem with Black Cherries is actually finding the ripe tomatoes in all the foliage.

I tried Chocolate tomatoes but did not care for the flavor. My neighbor loved them so I let her pick all of the Chocolate ones.
A couple years ago I gave a big basket full of tomatoes to my neighbour, who was once a gardener but hasn't gardened now in a couple decades. He only ever grew red bush beefsteaks. When he saw the rainbow colours in there he didn't say much. But a couple days later when I was working out in the garden he came over and said. "Hey, those dark ones, do you have any more of those?" I was pretty happy about that.

Have you ever tried Black Zebra cherry? Full, strong taste though they are on the crunchy side.

Latest posts