Tomatoes Tomatoes, how many colors?

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
LOL, vfem! Nope, I do not like them. Im waiting to find one I do, but I havent so far.

Setter, I also got a Brandywine in yellow last year. It was good, apparently, but had a problem with splitting.

Farmerlor, we've grown the Sun Gold before and everyone loved them. I wouldnt mind grabbing one for this reason, so we'll see!

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jordan you may find one you like out of the heirlooms.
I grow tomatoes too but I am not a huge fan of them straight out, love salsa and bruschetta and things like that just not the type to eat a tomato like I would an apple.
Having said that some of the tomatoes you bought have very unique flavors that you might end up liking.
You can always make some salsa with them.
At least try one of each to see.
I bought
Kelloggs breakfast
brandywine
cherokee purple
german striped
a variety seed pack called rainbow heirlooms
japanese trifele that is a black variety
purple calabash
and I can't remember what else, but I look forward to trying them out.
I've got a bunch of seedlings going now.
Let us know how they work out for you and if you end up liking any.

ironimagery

Leafing Out
Reaction score
OK so maybe I have found the group that can help me. My grandma use to grow yellow and green tomatos. Grandma has gone to the big garden and I don't know what the green toms were. I remember they were low acid and very tasty. Every time I try to find some place to buy them I either get a blank look or they say oh you mean fried green tomatos. NO and I am very specific when I tell them that the tomatos are green when they are ripe.

Catalina

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ironimagery said:
OK so maybe I have found the group that can help me. My grandma use to grow yellow and green tomatos. Grandma has gone to the big garden and I don't know what the green toms were. I remember they were low acid and very tasty. Every time I try to find some place to buy them I either get a blank look or they say oh you mean fried green tomatos. NO and I am very specific when I tell them that the tomatos are green when they are ripe.
Take a look at Baker's Creek seeds - they have a lot of heritage tomato seeds. Green, purple, pink,yellow, orange, red, swirl, stripe, ect........

laurenlulu

Leafing Out
Reaction score
ironimagery- maybe it was Aunt Ruby's German Green? That is a big green beefsteak tomato- really delicious.

I wanted a rainbow of tomatoes this year too. I tried to get all different sizes too.

I bought a packet of rainbow cherry mix from Heirloom seeds. They didn't say what is inside, but I'm hoping for a good variety. I'm going to plant them in a big crab basket and keep it on my porch.

Here's my color collection

RED:
Stupice- small extra early
Opalka- sausage shaped paste
Rutgers

PINK:
Dutchman
Omars Lebanese- big slicer
Burpee's Long Keeper- ripens well off the vine

GREEN:
Aunt Ruby's German Green- sweet beefsteak

ORANGE/YELLOW:
Golden Sunburst
Djena Lee's golden girl
Hillbilly- striped yellow/red

BLACK/PURPLE:
Cherokee Purple
Black Russian

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a very quick question -- do any of you tomato growers take cuttings of them? I've done it often & it works very well & is way faster than growing from seed. It's also CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP :thumbsup

Have a great weekend.

:rose Hattie :rose

theOEGBman

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Natalie, I would LOVE it if I could find one that I like! I love growing them so it would be awesome if I had one I could eat. I like tomatoes in various things like salsas too, but not by themselves.

Steve, thank you for the link! I appreciate it. A red one ehh, I needed one of those. :lol:

Lauren, have you tried the Hillbilly tomatoes before? I love the way they look.

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
what exactly do you do to take cuttings?

do you take the cuttings at the end of the season for next? or is it for only this season?