Tomatoes Tomatoes, how many colors?

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know how hattie does it , but I've grown lots of tomatoes by pulling "suckers" and then sticking them in the ground. I always put a bucket with a few holes in the bottom beside the "suckers" for about a week and keep it full of water to keep it from drying out until they have started a root system. I've had "suckers" produce more and bigger tomatoes than the plant I pulled them from. :hu

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are sliding off-topic but theOEGBman may forgive us. In central California and Florida it may work well to take tomato cuttings, root them indoors and set them out after a couple months of "Winter" ;).

Hattie, how can you get them thru a long (let's say, half-year :rolleyes:) Winter, indoors? If that's what is needed.

(And, where are you Jlmann? I can't even allow volunteer tomato seedlings to grow with the expectation of seeing a ripe one . . . :/)

Steve

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I'm in Virginia - really long growing season for the zone we're supposed to be in. I had a volunteer tomatoe last year that grew to almost eight feet.:hu

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
We are sliding off-topic but theOEGBman may forgive us. In central California and Florida it may work well to take tomato cuttings, root them indoors and set them out after a couple months of "Winter" ;).

Hattie, how can you get them thru a long (let's say, half-year :rolleyes:) Winter, indoors? If that's what is needed.

(And, where are you Jlmann? I can't even allow volunteer tomato seedlings to grow with the expectation of seeing a ripe one . . . :/)

Steve
You know, I worked for a few years at a large engineering firm here in the Boston area. If you've ever worked with engineers, you know they are a strange but ingenious lot :gig We had a guy who had a cube right next to the south facing window. He had the same tomato plant that had been growing for three years when I met him. THREE YEARS! And he got lovely tomatoes off of it! He had some cuttings started because the plant was just way out of control (he had strings holding it up to the ceiling). Tomatoes root easily (that's why we bury the stem, more roots equals stronger plants, but I know you know that, Steve!).

Keep in mind this plant was growing throughout the long New England winter, indoors - I thought it was quite an accomplishment.

Sorry, Justin, we'll now return to your thread! :)

Latest posts