Too Big Cucmbers

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Carol Dee, your relish looks good and would use up even more cucumbers. Here's one more relish recipe that I made today. It is more spicy.

Smoky Pepper Relish

4 cups diced seeded cucumbers
3 cups diced red bell peppers
3 cups diced cubanelle peppers
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup picling salt
2 cups white vinegar
1 dried chipotle pepper
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
2 Tbsp mustard seed

In a large glass non-reactive bowl, combine cucumbers, peppers and onions and salt. Cover and let sit at cool room temperature for 4 hours. Meanwhile in a small saucepan heat 1/2 cup of the vinegar til steaming. Add the dry chipotle pepper. Soak for 2 hours til very soft. Drain the pepper, reserving the liquid, and discard the seeds and stem. Finely chop the pepper and set aside.

Prepare canner, ars and lids.

Drain the vegetables in cheesecloth lined colander. Squeeze the water out with the cloth. leave in colander to drain more.

Combine reserved vinegar and remaining vinegar, sugar and seeds in large pot. Bring to a boil stirring til sugar is dissolved. Add vegetables into the vinegar along with the chopped chipotle. Bring back to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, stirring. Let simmer 15 minutes.

Ladle into jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Seal and place in hot water bath. Process for 10 minutes.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Fermented cucumber salsa. Wifezilla told me about it last year and it is WONDERFUL. Peel and seed, dice the flesh and proceed with your favorite salsa recipe, only use cukes instead of tomatoes. It is really good. I ferment it.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I had some like that and I scoped out the seeds and then cut them into chunks and make them into pickles. My husband isn't supposed to have seeds and they were for him.

Latest posts