Too early to plant tomatoes?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is Phenology. Wikipedia describes it: Phenology is the study of periodic plant and animal life cycle events and how these are influenced by seasonal and interannual variations in climate, as well as habitat factors (such as elevation). It's that "oak leaves the size of squirrel ears" thing.

I don't know about oak leaves but there are a couple of indications about how the season is progressing around here. They have been pretty good for suggesting what might happen in the near future.

One is the blooming of the Oregon grape (Mahonia). That's happening right now and I use it to indicate when it's time to plant peas. I'm always hoping for a productive, long season but sometimes my later plantings will run up against hot dry days.

The black locust trees (Robinia) seem shy about cold weather. I've noticed that there is now the tiniest hint of green on the lowest twigs. Instead, I want to see green on all sides of the trees. That indicated frost-free in about 90% of the years that I have been paying attention to the locusts. Still, I'd be slow to set out peppers.

Steve

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have tomato plants on the lawn in a hoopy, in the hoop house with an electric heater and a fan, and a few little guys still in the greenhouse where it is a comfortable 60°f at 4am.

The weather service "promised" that it would be 43° for an overnight low. The wunderground volunteer in my neighborhood has it as 37° right now. I've got 41° under the carport roof.

Years ago, I was new to using that hoop house over the two garden beds. I had a crowded greenhouse so moved tomatoes out to the center path of that hoop house. No heat. Inside, it was 37° the very next morning. I had a few of those plants die sitting right beside the thermometer so I know it wasn't colder. Many had damage - the foliage was just too tender coming from the greenhouse.

Other than thoroughly venting every structure where they are sheltered during the few sunbreaks we have had the last few days, none of my tomato plants are hardened off to outdoor conditions. It hasn't hit 60° during an afternoon in days. Even those 2 hot April days had 40° difference between morning and afternoon temperatures.

We can ignore the University of Georgia telling us to wait to transplant outdoors when overnight temperatures are above 60°. WSU says, "If temperatures drop below 50°F, keep them indoors." Cornell says "Nighttime temperatures should be consistently above 45 F." (link) Both U of Idaho and Colorado State say something about "Tomato transplants prefer a temperature between 60 -65°F, soil temperature ..." When is that? Mid-July?

Steve

Same weather here. I think it was 38 last night.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would wait at least until after Mothers Day, the watermark for our area. Mine have been spending all day outside and brought in at dark.
I was tempted to leave them out last night (because I forgot about them until bedtime) but I got out of bed and did it anyway.
I'm glad I did, my thermometer said 30 when I got up.
You never know when we'll get a surprise frost.

I did pick up some Wall'O'Waters to protect a few, but haven't had the time to get them planted.

When you say OUT you mean in a greenhouse?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom , we haven’t even started hardening off yet, without the cold frame it a lot more work. I guess I better get started on it although I may put off tomatoe and pepper planting a week or so this year cause of the cool temps.

I have barely had mine in a greenhouse with decent warm temperature, much less to put in shade and harden off. I left tomatoes and peppers out one night in greenhouse and peppers dropped a few leaves and it was in the 40s.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't get the frosts that some of you get. But I'm one of those that plants her tomatoes about a month early. I just can't wait and even though they just pretty much sit doing nothing, it sure looks pretty having them all planted. :p

Mary

I am not talking bad about her, but bragging on her and just shocked she is so far ahead of me this year and am I just being lazy and thinking it is too cold or am I missing out on some secret??? lol I should just get in my truck and drive over. lol She is not inexperienced. Every time I go to town, something else has been done. She works hard. I made DD park on the side of the road so I could see and then DS last night I made him pull over and I am spying on her garden. She is several blocks away, so I cannot see her from my house and all these years nobody around my area really has had much of a garden and I smugly drive by thinking my garden is the best lol. Most people just have a few tomatoes and onions or grow squash and pumpkins, but she had kale, lettuce, tomatoes, pumpkins, squash, watermelon, peppers, and I have no idea what so many things and huge perfect plants. I have competition in my neighborhood. LOL I am going to tell her this when I see her and she will probably laugh.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Gardening you crack me up! If I had someone growing beautiful veggies like that, I 'd knock on her door and have her talk her ear off! She would be my best friend LOL. Invite her over for coffee and have a good chat. Bet she could give you some good tips. She could also have a mini micro climate that perhaps you don't have.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Gardening you crack me up! If I had someone growing beautiful veggies like that, I 'd knock on her door and have her talk her ear off! She would be my best friend LOL. Invite her over for coffee and have a good chat. Bet she could give you some good tips. She could also have a mini micro climate that perhaps you don't have.

Mary

I don't think she stops moving long enough for grass to grow under her feet! LOL

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The sweetest part of my sweet spot is filled with onion plants and some perennials.

I'm planning to be gone this afternoon. The broccoli and such have been uncovered for an afternoon or two. They are in a good place for filtered afternoon shade. (Full sun in the morning so they have been covered but ventilated, then.)

Next week, I hope to have them in the sweet spot right through the day. I should have their current space available so as to then bring the tomatoes out for a few hours in the afternoon to sit where the broccoli has been enjoying that shade.

Steve

Latest posts