Too early to plant tomatoes?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My onions are hardened off and could be planted if I find a "sweet spot" without weeds. Lol. I had collards, kale and cabbage in filtered morning shade and now full shade. Tomatoes in the greenhouse.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When you say OUT you mean in a greenhouse?

No, I don't have a greenhouse. They are out on the patio all day and brought into the house when it gets dark. Tonight I think I'll make them sleep in the garage, and get my plant starting mess out of the dining room.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My onions are really ready to go! And, the tractor guy finished tilling the garden!!!

However, this garden is one those places where our recent downpours missed and the water department has not turned on the water!

The onions will have to sit in the backyard, faded looking and scrawny for awhile longer.

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's 38°f right now and my destined-for-the-garden tomato plants are all on my covered deck!

It was windy yesterday, sprinkled, even hailed for a brief moment! I've just been out and there doesn't seem to be a breeze, no frost on the pickup, lovely crescent moon in the eastern sky ...

The school and its wunderground .com station nearest the big veggie garden has 38° with a 4mph breeze. The plants are going out there next week so this had better be the last of the mornings in the thirties.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' are you northern WA? that would be similar Latitude as us and it is still a bit too early for us to think about putting anything out that needs reliable warmth.

onions can survive some cool temperatures. tomatoes we wait another three weeks minimum. cucumbers we are supposed to be putting in early this year with plans to cover them if it threatens frosty weather again (i'm hoping we don't do this... but that's just the me part of the we :) ).

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think DW has successfully hardened off all our plants already. The plants have been outside all day and nite for three days now. The weather was perfect this week for hardening off plants. Going to start planting the garden today , already have Walla Walla sweets in ground. Hope the weather holds out on the fair side from now on, do not want to start covering everything at nite.
It’s garden time here.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' are you northern WA? that would be similar Latitude as us and it is still a bit too early for us to think about putting anything out that needs reliable warmth.
Yes, sir. On the border, although WA must be the smallest of the western states and kinda flat. In Idaho, "northern" is anything north of Boise, at 43°37′ North latitude. Way north of that by over 4° and closer to Creston BC than Enterprise OR ;).

Also at 2,000 feet elevation, where you don't need to feel sorry for me because, even though this has been classified as a continental climate, there is now some appropriate controversy about separating this area from the Mediterranean climate zones of much of the West. For annual growing purposes, this is about as Mediterranean as the mountains of northern Spain.

The difference from continental zones is partly the limited summer moisture and we have nowhere near as cold of winters as the Upper Midwest!. Elevation and arid conditions are rather challenging for growing many heat-loving plants because of the differences between day and night temperatures.

digitS'

Latest posts