Tossing a Variety

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keep in mind @Pulsegleaner that nature has set up plants to produce huge volumes of seed - most of which will not succeed. So, zillions of seeds on the planet are produced and then simply expire. The true meaning of life insurance. So you needn't hold yourself to such a responsibility.

it makes me think of the tiny poppy seeds we used to have all over the place here until Mom decided the deer and chipmunks were eating them and then she started removing them and now it is rare to see them in many places.

it used to look like

100_3663_Poppies_thm.jpg

around here some years. now, not many at all. however, i agreed to limit them to the front gardens only and would remove any that wandered towards the back as i sure didn't want to fight them back from the vegetable gardens.

we have another wandering annual that i don't mind as much (the seeds are much larger) called Love in a Mist. they grow in the limestone gravel much the same as the poppies. amazing how fast they can take over a space. the seeds are supposed to be edible, but for some reason i've not tried them yet, like nutmeg... hmm... i should do that next year. i like nutmeg... :)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
There are some things I've tried that were so 'nonmemorable' I never grew them again. Moneymaker tomato was one.

@Zeedman I think I'm on a high from my success with the marbled soybeans; I feel like SuperSoyGirl. 🦸‍♀️ It's a delusion of course, given my epic failures last year. But I went hunting around last night enjoying the clouded thinking and found some unknown to me soybeans to order - Tankuro, Cha Kura, Fiskeby, Green Giant, Hakucho, Tokio, and I have some Ezonishiki from last years hunt.
Pretty stoked. 😁

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it makes me think of the tiny poppy seeds we used to have all over the place here until Mom decided the deer and chipmunks were eating them and then she started removing them and now it is rare to see them in many places.

it used to look like

100_3663_Poppies_thm.jpg

around here some years. now, not many at all. however, i agreed to limit them to the front gardens only and would remove any that wandered towards the back as i sure didn't want to fight them back from the vegetable gardens.

we have another wandering annual that i don't mind as much (the seeds are much larger) called Love in a Mist. they grow in the limestone gravel much the same as the poppies. amazing how fast they can take over a space. the seeds are supposed to be edible, but for some reason i've not tried them yet, like nutmeg... hmm... i should do that next year. i like nutmeg... :)
OH my gosh!!! This picture just made my day.

Love in a Mist!? Dang! I try it every year.....and fail. 😕

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Love in a Mist!? Dang! I try it every year.....and fail. 😕

full sun, rinsed limestone gravel with a bit of dirt underneath it (and then a layer of carpeting - they're growing in almost nothing) but we also have it growing in wood chip mulched areas that have aged enough to be more like weed havens. :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug come back and delete a couple of those copies :D. I think that you may have held your thumb down on the Reply button too long.

In annual flower beds that I planted in for 20 years, love-in-a-mist was one thing that I would use to fill in when a transplant failed. A few seeds sprinkled in. "Tossed in" to conform to thread!

Tossing in some cosmos seeds between dahlias worked well. They were about the same height by the time of the bloom season.

Larkspur required little room and would volunteer year after year. However, the double flowers couldn't handle competition, I guess. The single became the only volunteer. Love-in-a-mist did fine as a volunteer but needed that sunlight.

Steve

Latest posts