Tromboncino Squash Vine Borers! Pg 4

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am trying new (to me) varieties of veggies this year and anything weird that catches my fancy. I have 5 tromboncino plants that are taking over the 39 feet of cow panel trellis I built for them. I picked my first one and we will have it for supper tonight.

What I have read about it: All the seeds are in the bulb at the end. Tromboncino squash can be picked green and used like zucchini or left on the vine to turn tan color and it will keep like winter squash. But if left to turn tan, the vine will stop producing because it has fulfilled it's need to make seeds. The vines are supposed to be resistant to vine borers. I sure hope so, cause the borers have already decimated my other squash. If this can survive the borers and summer heat, I think I'll have a winner!

7949_tromboncino.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember to let us know what you think about flavor. Real curious how it compares to zucchini

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is where I got the seeds.

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/prodinfo.asp?number=VSQ-5469#.Ua_hYVIo5jo

This is cucurbita maxima. Yellow squash and zucchini are cucurbita pepo. I found the tromboncino from Bountiful Gardens and was delighted that I could grow them without cross pollinating with the other summer squash.

I cooked the first one for supper tonight. The neck was long and solid with no seeds. The flesh was firm, the skin on it was soft enough that I didn't have to peel it. I cut the bulb on the end in half and scooped out the seeds, then cut it up with the neck. I cut the neck in half, longwise, then sliced in 1/4" pieces.

I cut up a yellow bell pepper, 6 garlic cloves and 1 onion. I put them in a deep skillet with the squash. I added 1 cup spaghetti sauce and 1 cup browned hamburger meat. I simmered it all together, covered with lid for 1 hour. It was delicious! My DH loved it! :weee :thumbsup

I have 2 more ready to pick. I am going to treat the bulb part a little differently this time. I am going to cut the bulb in half, scoop the seeds and put in the freezer. Later I will make an Italian sausage-cornbread dressing, stuff the bulbs with it, bake and top with cheese.

I think I found a winner!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question. We like to bread and fry zucchini, does this taste the same?

If you keep any as winter squash, be interesting to read your take on it. If resistant to vine borer and tastes like zucchini that makes it a winner right there

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, how big around was that squash? I LOVE squash, fried with anything - YUM-O.

P.s. - love you tag line, makes me think of a mullet evertime I read it :D

Latest posts