Tromboncino Squash Vine Borers! Pg 4

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baymule, sounds wonderful! I would love to try them myself! and the recipe is great i will try it!!
Glad you have such success with it

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I picked 2 more today. I will measure the diameter of the neck just for you Canesisters! Seedcorn, haven't fried any yet, but that's coming up soon and I will report back here on the taste. In the dish I made last night (and had leftovers tonight) it tasted like zucchini. ALL my other squash vines are DEAD, victims of borers. Zucchini, yellow and Lebanese white--all dead. The tromboncino is just coming in production and the borers haven't brought it down!

Desertlady, this is an intriguing squash. So far, just eating the first one, I am hooked! The plants are attractive, the squash is tasty and it appeals to the "I like weird stuff that nobody else has" :lol:

Took these pictures this morning.

7949_tromboncino_female_flower.jpg

7949_tromboncino_flower.jpg

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
couldnt see picture. I will try to get seeds. I love to try all kinds of unsual veggies , somehow I haven seen those kind ! thanks for sharing !

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Report card for the tromboncino;
Canesisters, I sliced the neck crossways and the slices were between the size of a quarter and a 50 cent piece. Seedcorn, I dipped the slices in water, then cornmeal and fried them. YUM! :drool On the other one, I cut the neck in 3 pieces, then sliced those pieces longways for a bigger piece. I put those in the dehydrator. I'll cut the tromboncino like that on the next one I fry. Maybe it will be a little easier to fry than all those little pieces. My DH loved them! :weee

The overall length was about 2 feet. Weight was 1 pound, 7 ounces.

I cut the bulb end in half and scooped out the seeds. I blanched them and put them in the freezer and I stuff them with something later and bake them.

Tromboncino gets an A+!!!!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
looks wonderful! I love the uniqueness of it. I also LOVE that it has survived your squash borer bugs.
how do you like your cattle panel tellis? I want to do that too.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks for info. Did it taste like zucchini fried? Have to look in store to see if I can buy one to try. Is it a huge vine type? I'd have to find spot for it if it is.

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Picture showed up later, I guess my computer was slow! Is it a climbing vine? or do you have to support it on a trellis? its looks so amazing !

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! Even if it didn't taste good the beauty of the squash would be worth planting it. I am going to try to find it-not too late for me to plant. Regarding the squash bugs. finding squash more tolerant to the assault of the various pests is a great thought. I find rumbo squash is not bothered by them also. Thanks for sharing Bay!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
BJ, I love cow panels! I made a cow panel chicken run 12'x8' and it is great! I made a small enclosure in the backyard with cow panels 7'x16' and planted corn in it and the tromboncino (5 plants) to trellis on the cow panels.

Seedcorn, it taste like zucchini fried. These are so unique, I don't think you'll find any in the store to buy, you'll have to grow them. It is great that they will vine and grow up a trellis. If you can't spread out--go up!

So Lucky, all the squash were planted at the same time. I had 3 white Lebanese, 2 zucchini and 4 yellow squash. I got 36 pounds before they were wiped out by vine borers. I have picked 3 tromboncinos so far and there is one that will be ready in a couple more days and several more coming on.

Desertlady, you can let it grow on a trellis, the squash will hang down and grow straight. Or you can let it vine where it wants to and the squash will be all sorts of curly shapes.

Catjac, the link where I got the seeds are on page one.

I just got through re-digging, re-composting, re-mulching a couple of beds. I am going to try again on the other squash. Even though the borers murder them, I still like them and want some more!

Latest posts