trying my hand at grafting apple trees-newest update post #30

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
please check out post #30 for the newest update!

i figured i would start a new thread for those that want to watch my progress of trying to do some apple tree grafting.

i have my Bud 9 rootstock i got from FedCo Seeds over in Maine. Bud 9 is a common apple rootstock in our area that is good for making the trees grow to about 8-10ft tall. they are very cold hardy for around the northeast. http://www.orangepippin.com/resources/general/apple-rootstocks a little explanation of some of the more common rootstock out on the market. i have 30 of these to use for grafting. if i don't use all of them i can plant the left overs for another year or two and use them for future trees. from what i have been reading and seeing on YouTube this is a way to propagate more rootstock for future use since more rootstock tends to sucker.

i also have 17 different scion wood cuttings received so far that are about 8" long. each one should give me a couple of cuttings each since i'll need some practice. i have 7 more coming. if you're interested in the varieties i'm going to graft you can check out my original thread.
http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=35465

a few things to keep in mind if your going to graft:
-- Make sure the scion and rootstock are botanically compatible. Many varieties of fruit can only be grafted to a tree of the same species (e.g. apples). Others are more flexible. Apricots can be grafted onto pluot rootstock, and many European plums can be grafted onto almond rootstock.
-- Graft when the scion is dormant, typically winter through early spring.
-- Graft 1-year-old scion wood with about three leaf (flat) buds.
-- Make sure scion buds point upward.
-- Contact between the living cell tissue (cambium) in the scion and the tree is essential if the graft is to take.
-- Seal the entire scion and graft union to avoid dehydration, and bind the union to ensure the cambia remain in contact.
Read more: http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/...trees-can-be-simple-1016468.php#ixzz2OSwuFuU5

tools needed to work with grafting:
-sharp knife for the cutting/trimming (non serrated blade). you don't need to have a grafting knife-a pairing knife will also work.
-paraffin wax or grafting wax (i'm using grafting wax)-to seal the scion to help keep moisture from drying out while it is healing.
-something to bind the graft-i was able to get para-film tape, a wax tape used for grafting. you can get certain rubber bands to do this. my dad used electrical tape when i was a kid but his attempt to graft didn't work. you want to bind the graft to keep it tight and from drying out.
-and something to label your handiwork so you know for later what you're growing. :p

now for the grafts you could use:
-Bench Grafting or whip & tongue (i may do most of them this way since my rootstock and scions are about 1/4" thick). a diagonal cut done on both the rootstock and scion and match up the cambium.
-Cleft graft (i'll also do a few of these). you do a straight cut about an inch deep on the top of the rootstock. cut the bottom of the scion into a wedge about the same depth and place it into the rootstock's cut.
-Bark, or rind grafts are done by separating the bark from the cambium layer and the scion is trimmed so it slides just under the bark with the cambium layers touching. (done mostly on larger trees for top working if you have an older tree you want to redo the grafts to something you'd rather have)
-Inlay grafting is sort of like Bark grafting except you'll remove the layer of bark from the scion. (this is mostly done on larger trees outside like bark grafting.)
good info and pics on grafting styles http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/uj255.pdf

you can also check on youtube for videos of others and their methods if you're more visual like me. i'll followup with my pics of progress.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks! i just got done with the 1st 10 trees. so i have some updates.
tools i'm using. i didn't end up using the grafting wax because i had the tape for binding the graft area. this is my knife, a whet stone for sharpening the knife, the parafilm wax tape, the grafting wax and a container of hot water to warm the wax in (didn't get used)
6704_2013graftingtools.jpg

the rootstock which is about 2 feet long and got cut down to about a foot in length to do the grafts.
6704_2013bud9rootstockbeforegrafting.jpg

one of 2 tries doing a cleft graft. i did one with a Nova Spy that was an extra. can be easy to do but you want to match up the cut scion well with the cut in the rootstock stem which seemed tricky for me.
6704_2013jonagoldcleftgraft.jpg

the same bound tree
6704_2013jonagoldboundwrapped.jpg

this is just the whip graft. i didn't realize that i should have done a tongue in the middle of it so they interlock. it helps to secure the graft better and i was told yesterday from someone at a farmers market that is the best type of graft to do for our area.
6704_2013honeygoldwhiptonguegraft.jpg

same bound tree
6704_2013honeygoldbounwrapped.jpg

10 trees done and 8 more i should get finished up tonight. i should have 7 more scions coming soon!
6704_2013graftedapplesdone.jpg

when i'm done grafting i'm getting them into some soil and stored in the root cellar till i can get them outside in a couple weeks.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
chickies, how many do you plan to do? Are you going to sell them? Will you be putting 4 grafts on each tree? I have so many questions. Do you graft only one kind at a time and then when the tree grows, add more? How long will it take for the trees to produce? I just find it fascinating!

Mary

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is totaly awesome! Thanks for taking the time to share! So, do you take time to play some acey-duecy or chess? Maybe backgammon is your game ;) Definately keep it up. I am following this closely.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
chickies, how many do you plan to do? Are you going to sell them? Will you be putting 4 grafts on each tree? I have so many questions. Do you graft only one kind at a time and then when the tree grows, add more? How long will it take for the trees to produce? I just find it fascinating!

Mary
well, i ended up with 20 done today, a few were duplicates that i did a different type of graft than the rest. i have 10 of the rootstock left while i'm waiting for 7 more pieces of scionwood to arrive. so far i am only grafting 1 type at a time to see how many will take. if they do take to the graft i will see healing and eventually leaves budding in a few weeks (if the snow ever melts and spring actually gets here :rolleyes: ) the trees that survive grafting will probably take 2-3 years to produce!

i'm planning on putting them all in my 1 acre yard. i have to do some clearing of the back yard since there is a lot of scrub and ash trees. but there is a lot of my yard that is already cleared for use. being dwarf trees means i can fit many more trees in my yard. i can space these about 8-10' between trees vs about 20' for standard sized trees. if i have some extras i may give a few to my sister to go along with the Pink Lady trees i have coming. they will be a birthday present for her that i know she will enjoy. :)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
My DH will be interested in this posting. He is going to a grafting class on Thursday at the county Extension office.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
This is totaly awesome! Thanks for taking the time to share! So, do you take time to play some acey-duecy or chess? Maybe backgammon is your game ;) Definately keep it up. I am following this closely.
well, i've played poker but not acey-ducey. i have played chess but was never good at it. i tend to be a puzzle person. love Freecell, Snood, used to love Tetris and Dr Mario when that was around. i have a Rubik's Pyramid (aka Pyramix, mine is from the early 80's) kicking around here that i occasionally pull out to mess with. never had it's stickers pealed off :lol: but that is easy compared to some of the cubes. :p i figure out patterns in things quickly.

oh, i think i get it now. you must have seen my coffee table design in the pics. that was a dump find a few years ago. couldn't believe someone actually threw it out! it is a solid table! but it does get in the way so i have a corner i sneak it into so it stays out of the walking area in our living room. it has been great when i have friends with kids come over. keeps them busy playing checkers or just the right height for them to do stuff on.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can't make out if the outer flaps are downward or upward.

It is very precise carving and whittling, keeping roots moist, and then taping just right.

I am VERY GLAD you are putting this here. I do intend to be doing this in a year or two.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks Marshall. we'll see how well these take in a few weeks. here's hoping for the best!

i didn't realize on some of the first few whip grafts that there was supposed to be a 'tongue' grove cut into them. so my first few are cut as whips which should still take, they may be week joints and will need to be watched as the tree heals and grows. some websites i was looking at didn't fully show the whip graft with the tongue. same with some of the youtube videos, so i advise caution when looking at those. one guy i would recommend watching on youtube is StephenHayesUK, if you need something that is visual.

he even shows how to raise your own rootstock. i may keep a few un-grafted just so i have some more on hand in the future. those little suckers you get from the base of your apple trees each year are usually from the rootstock and should be cut out so the tree can put it's effort into making fruit. but if you cut down the tree and you are seeing suckers coming up from that area, most likely those are the original rootstock suckers coming up! if you are pulling them out and have roots on them just plant them in another location and give them a year or two to get up to a good size and use them for grafting. i love this idea! helps to save some money down the road if i find i had any luck with it!

Latest posts