trying my hand at grafting apple trees-newest update post #30

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
With this kind of grafting, stems to stems, are you waiting for the rootstock to bud out before doing the graft while the scion has been refrigerated so as not to yet be budding out, or does it not matter?

When Lee bud grafted my grapes, he did it with refrigerated and still dormant buds onto already leafed out rootstock. When he then defoliated the leaves from the rootstock I fessed up to him that that sent a shiver up my spine.

But I understand. Bud grafting uses only a bud for a scion. Other grafts use a whole small pencil thick or better stick with several buds and the stick that contains some life energy reserve in it.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
to answer the question about the rootstock, i've been grafting them while dormant. i found a site that someone said they were trained by an ole timer that said to wait till the stocks had 'mouse ears' or the leaves started budding out before grafting the scion to them. that way you knew the sugars were flowing in the stock so they could graft easier to the scion. i'm hoping when my other scions come i can try this method with the remaining rootstock. wish i had found that before i started because it makes perfect sense to me to wait till the plants juices are flowing so you know you are grafting to a living/thriving rootstock!

bud grafting is something i may eventually try but it will have to wait till i have some trees growing. in the case of that method you are pretty much transplanting just the bud of one tree and slipping it under a 'T' slit into the bark of another tree. it seems that less effort would be taken by the recipient to get that bud growing if i tried that method. i think this would work best if you are trying to pollinate one type of apple with a compatible blooming time apple, and wanted to have a multi grafted tree to take up less space.

btw, if anyone is looking for a list of apples that will help cross pollinate other trees this is a nice list of common varieties on the market at the moment. http://www.acnursery.com/apple_pollinizer.pdf it's a PDF so you will need something to view it.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well i have an update on a couple of the grafts i did. it looks like 3 trees are starting to bud on the scions-Pomme Gris, Mutsu/Crispin, and Lady. so i'm hoping that is good news and the grafts are healing well. i don't dare remove the parafilm from them just yet. probably will be a couple more weeks to be sure they have fully healed over before i remove the tape. it could be those that are sprouting are matched well with the rootstock and the others that haven't sprouted yet are a little less vigorous with the Bud 9 rootstock and need more time to heal before they bud.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lee had me leave the tape on the bud grafts he did on my grapes. Said it should stay on for a year, but your grafts are different.

It is so super cool what you're doing! A true pioneer thing, leading the way.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Chickie! Can't wait to see the progress. (and yes, i saw the table ;) )

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, another week and i have an update of the 20 trees i grafted.

after checking over my grafted apple trees today i noticed that out of 20 i did back on 3/24, 9 have been budding on the scion. the other 11 seem to be a little sluggish but when i pulled them out of the temporary soil to check the rootstock i noticed a lot of nice healthy roots and some suckers trying to grow. the buds i noticed on the rootstock that were budding i picked off so it would help put the energy into the scion instead. i also picked off any suckers trying to grow.

i received my 7 scions from Masonville last week so i'm working on those tonight after i finish up some dinner.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm still reading Chickie! Any chance we could see some pics? Are the grafts still wrapped?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is really cool, Chickie. Thanks for sharing this...I'm following along and taking notes! Can't wait to see how they take.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
MontyJ said:
I'm still reading Chickie! Any chance we could see some pics? Are the grafts still wrapped?
i'll get you some pics in the morning. the grafts are still wrapped but the buds are poking through the wrap. i won't fully remove the tape until i'm sure the grafts have taken. so probably a few more weeks till they should be healed enough.

it appears that the ones that are whip or whip and tongue are the ones that are budding. i only did a few with the cleft and they don't appear to be budding on the scions yet. i'll do another check on those to be sure.

Latest posts