trying my hand at grafting apple trees-newest update post #30

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It will be very interesting to see how the different grafts progress. I'm thinking a graft on my new Luscious pear tree would be good, rather than buying another tree for a pollinator. When I get to that point I'll be picking your brain!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i finally got some pics of the grafted trees budding. i looked over a few of the ones that were still not budding and noticed a few were starting to swell and push through their wrappings. so i now have 11 budding out. the 2 that i did cleft grafts are still not showing any growth.
not the greatest pics since my camera was giving me grief with focusing in low light.
6704_graftupdate4-13-13.jpg

6704_graftupdate4-13-132.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looks great Chickie! You must be pretty excited to see those buds growing, yeah?

Are you keeping them inside in soil until it's safe to plant them outside?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
You're being the pioneer here for us Chickie. Looking good so far!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thistle, they have been kept in the house for the moment. we got a dusting of snow a few days ago so it is still unpredictable weather in our area. we can have hard frosts up till mid May around here. so i want to be careful so i don't loose them to the elements till the grafts take or we finally are clear of the frost.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
looked over the 'sticks' and i'm now up to 16 out of the original 20 grafted! :weee

i finished up my other 7 trees tonight so i don't expect anything out of those for at least a week.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
yep! seems that everything i read up on that method says that whip and tongue is the easiest one to learn for a beginner that gives the best results. the ones that i did that were just the whip without the tongue are also taking. seems those started sprouting first! :)

the saddle graft is also a good one but it seems that you would need to buy a special tool for the cuts. i'm sure there is a way to do it with just a knife but the tool makes it go quicker. the cleft grafts seem to work best on large to very large rootstock being used with small pieces of scions. this is usually used on older established trees that you might want to change over the variety to something better.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have a very good update to add! out of 27 trees i grafted 26 have shown leaves budding out and the grafts healing over! the last one i'm hoping will make it but i don't see any growth showing yet. i'm watching that last one like a hawk. :p

i have planted 14 of those trees in the ground. 3 trees i realized were extras so i am potting those up in case my dad decides he would like them. 10 trees need to get planted but i may pot those up too until i get some more maple and ash trees along with the wild roses removed to make more space. i should mention that all the un-planted trees are still in soil in that rubbermaid bin i showed in other pics.