Typing on my new PC

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In another thread I mentioned that building computers was a hobby of mine.

Our old PC was just that...OLD. I've kept it alive for years (running Vista!), replacing the power supply once and a stick of RAM, the hard drive...

The motherboard was finally starting to fail. The hard drive controller was giving up the ghost. So I finally broke down and built a new one.

For those that know PC's:
AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7 GHz/4.0 GHz turbo quad core (CPU)
Asus A88XM-A (Motherboard)
2x4G Mushkin 1600 (RAM)
MSI nVidia GeForce GT730 PCI-E 2.0 1G GDDR5 (GPU-video card)
1TB WD HDD SATA 6 (Hard drive)
120G Samsung SSD SATA 6 (Solid State Drive)
Rosewill 6/1 card reader
Samsung SATA 6 DVD burner

I love the SSD! Windows 7 Pro (64 bit) boots in 16 seconds (from "Starting Windows" screen). From power off to a completely loaded desktop in 41 seconds.

I've already moved all of the files from the old machine into this one, and have loaded most of the software.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
heck still remember my first computer..
pentium 2 cpu
16 mb memory
750 mb hard drive
floppy disk and a 3.5"

and where are we now after 15 years ....tb,gb and ghz drives ,memory and processes ........... bad thing is your computer will outdated in a year or so....

good for you monty....

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ive had my Lubuntu on my old 05 pc for 3yrs. It is only 15 seconds from the time I press the on button and when I can click the browser icon. Would be faster, but there's a false failed fan message I can't get rid of that I have to press F2 for.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to have a message that popped up "Looking for scanner" that we couldn't get rid of. The scanner had been gone for 7 years or so. :rolleyes:

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am clueless, looking at your parts list, @MontyJ , but I know how frustrating an old PC is, so Congrats!

My son built me a new one earlier this year. Windows 7 seemed daunting, but it was not as confusing as I expected. I got his usual tip, 'just play around with it Ma, you'll get it' :rolleyes:... well, at least he has faith in me. Now, Word 2013 is still pushing my patience.

animalmom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
HA! All you young whips, I've got you beat. My first computer was an IBM 8088, 64K RAM, 2 floppy 5 1/4" drives, didn't know what a hard drive was. You put the program disk in Drive A and your data disk in Drive B and prayed you wouldn't have a power glitch while you were on. Yep, (waving cane at you) thems were the days... and we thought we were hot stuff!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah @baymule it is all Greek to me too! LOL
I am surprised to hear you are using Windows 7. @MontyJ I thought anything new was windows 10. (Have heard horror stories and hoping my PC with 7 holds up for a LONG time.)

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ive had my Lubuntu on my old 05 pc for 3yrs. It is only 15 seconds from the time I press the on button and when I can click the browser icon. Would be faster, but there's a false failed fan message I can't get rid of that I have to press F2 for.

Nothing against Lubuntu, but it just doesn't have the horsepower I need. I used Linux quite a bit some time ago, but it never really got mainstream enough to justify the grief it sometimes caused. The LDXE just isn't for me either. I like my desktop. Even so, 15 seconds is pretty fast. Makes me wonder what kind of motherboard you have that will POST so quickly.

HA! All you young whips, I've got you beat. My first computer was an IBM 8088, 64K RAM, 2 floppy 5 1/4" drives, didn't know what a hard drive was. You put the program disk in Drive A and your data disk in Drive B and prayed you wouldn't have a power glitch while you were on. Yep, (waving cane at you) thems were the days... and we thought we were hot stuff!

I started out with the same machine. Also worked with older machines in the Navy that were loaded with punched paper tape ;)

Yeah @baymule it is all Greek to me too! LOL
I am surprised to hear you are using Windows 7. @MontyJ I thought anything new was windows 10. (Have heard horror stories and hoping my PC with 7 holds up for a LONG time.)

If you build it yourself you can load whatever you want on it. I'll pass on Windows 10. I hate the Android look. I know they brought back the old desktop look (so I have heard), but no thanks. To me Win 7 is the only decent OS to come out of Microsoft since XP. I also have a laptop with 7 Pro and another with XP. The XP machine is my favorite by far.

Latest posts