ummm, yeah...or What the heck????

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, fresh eggs last a loooong time. You can save it in the fridge for months. Did you wash it after gathering? It is said eggs last longer if they are not washed, as washing removes the protective coating that is put on at the last minute before coming out.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Like Dew said, we don't wash the eggs. They go straight from the chickens butt into the cartons.

Well, not straight into the cartons, Dew and I have to pick them up, but you get the idea :p

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

Now that you mention it... he'll be having one of 'those talks' with them - they'll be laying in the cartons before the weekend. :gig

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If someone tells Monty that COMPETITIVE CHICKEN TRAINING is going on, big contests and expositions, blue ribbons awarded, I bet Monty'd have his chickens competitively trained to not only lay their eggs in the cartons, but also to close it, and to use little wagons to get the full cartons to the kitchen...

just sayin...

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Heh, I can't even train them not to jump all over me when I go in the run. There is one Amberlink that stalks me and waits for the perfect moment to jump on me. I have learned to head it off and just pick her up and carry her around petting her for awhile. That seems to satisfy her.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have at least 3 at one time that have to jump on my lap if i crouch or sit down for 5 seconds. and then there is Cecilia my 7 week old who has learned that jumping on the back of my neck is the prime spot of safety from the bigger hens that are taking up my lap. Momma Etta has taught her favorite habits to her chicks and those tend to stick with them. :p though i only trust Etta to be up on the back of my neck. she tends to ride around in the hood of my sweatshirt when i wear it. so no threat of going for my eyes with her. (and yes, i learned the hard way about letting chickens near your face) :(

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have 2 that will jump on my shoulders and back even if I'm standing straight up!!!! Cinnamon and clover. The others just walk around looking at me like I want a ride, but wont try. I love being with the chickens.... it's a lot of fun.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am seriously considering getting some safety glasses for Dew and I to wear around the chickens. I've seen how fast those birds can be, snatching bugs right out of the air. My biggest fear is one of us getting nailed in the eye.