*UPDATE* Mimosa trees

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey beefy, where you located? I'd buy it...jes sayin'

kschitwood

Sprout
Reaction score
I have been looking for small mimosa trees as well. I'm not sure I have anything someone is looking for but I'd love to know where to get a small tree. I have looked all over locally (GA). The ironic thing is that they are all over the side of the road :lol:

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
um I guess I don't understand, please, please don't take this the wrong way, but why do you want a mimosa tree? I understand the flowers are pretty, smell good, and attract hummingbirds(ha ha that should be enough lol). Is that why? I guess the reason why I don't understand is b/c growing up my dad was always trying to kill them. He hated them because they grew everywhere in our backyard. Just to throw this out there, I do like them, and was excited to find one in the front yard of our new house. Just wondering why everyone else likes them :ya

robbobbin

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I want one because I grew up visiting my grandma in TN and she had one in her yard-my brother and I used to climb. It's a nostalgic thing for me. She also had a huge holly tree, I'd love to have-but not hardy in my zone 5. But the mimosa-I will baby and HAVE!

Kristina

Sprout
Reaction score
My grandma used to alsr have them in her yard. My grandpa was also always trying to kill them LOL. so nostalgia for me too....Same here all over the side of the road but I can't get my hands on one...I also think they are gorgeous!!!

okiemommy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
It's a nostalgic thing for me too, along with the fighting with them that my dad used to do..he also used to fight with the grass trying to get it to grow. It was pretty funny, and still is. He let a few grow big enough to be able to climb in. My grandma had one too if I remember correctly. They cut it down when I was young though, b/c I guess it had gotten too big and was starting to cause problems(?) I love the flowers, and they smell so good. There are TONS of them in my parents backyard LOL Are they easily transplantable?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have one, but they grow really slow here in Washington State, so they are in no way invasive. I hear they can be invasive in places like California.

I got it because I like the "tropical" look and also for the hummingbirds. They are supposed to make a good shade tree . . . though some would say a messy shade tree.

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
robbin i am in georgia. i cant believe this many people want mimosa trees!? LOL. i thought i was the only one who liked them. i should start potting those babies up! you know, i think the leaves are really pretty myself. their foliage is very tropical looking, sort of ferny like.

Latest posts