Use Ginger and/or Turmeric? Grow it?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're trying to incorporate more turmeric into our cooking and we also like the golden turmeric milk. I grew some this year which @hoodat gave me in two 6 gallon pots. It was very easy to grow. I'll be digging it up here soon. It got really tall, so I'm hoping it did well.

waretrop

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Boy, Rob sure can talk and he is a wealth of information. A very interesting character. I love to grow regular ginger from the grocery store though for using it for cooking I like to buy a large amount on sale and freeze it. I will begin to grow turmeric as well. I already have been growing cardamom forever but have not ever had it bloom. It may be the wrong kind but I love to carry a leaf around in the greenhouse and crunch it. So refreshing....I also, from time to time, like to grow water chestnuts. I don't use them in the kitchen but they are fun to grow.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I've just gotten into Turmeric, read some good and interesting things about it. I haven't made " The Milk" but I've been mixing some powder into fresh milk with Black Pepper.

I brought some Ginger home hoping to start it indoors in a pot.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I read that most of the fresh ginger we buy here is grown in China. One would hope it is grown without dangerous pesticides, but they don't have much in the way of regulations, so, it's "buyer beware."
I wonder how much trouble it is to harvest and prepare ginger and turmeric you grow at home. I have to balance out my deep-seated laziness with my fear of being poisoned.:\

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine never bloomed either. I presprouted it by putting it in a tray in a sunny place and misting with water daily for a few weeks, then potted out in early May. I did think to put it against the sunny side of the garage's white block wall. I've noticed that extra heat and reflected light makes a big difference for many plants. But mine has only been growing for about 6 months. It looks pretty shabby now. I wonder if I shouldn't dig it yet? I could bring it in I guess. I could make a mini greenhouse with a clear trash bag.

I'll come back with that golden milk recipe when I can get into my Pinterest (on the phone now.) Even the kids liked it! It makes something good to sip at bedtime.

Larisa

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Many women here do drink made from ginger, honey and lemon.
8, 8 ounces of honey
7.7 ounces finely chopped ginger root
2 lemons (grind in a blender)

All of this mix, put in a glass jar, cover and put into the refrigerator. After 24 hours, can be used.

Add one teaspoon in the tea. It improves the immune system. Good to use at the first sign of a cold.
The tea should be warm. Temperature - not higher than 122 degrees Fahrenheit. Otherwise destroyed vitamin C.

For prevention is enough to take 2 times a day, morning and evening.
Tea can be replaced by warm water.
Some people say if you take a teaspoon without water before a meal,and wait little time, it is reduce the feeling of hunger. This I personally have not tried.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
... and honey?! We use some ginger in cooking. Although I like some curries, I would not know how to use turmeric by itself. Instead, we use "curry powder."

IMG_20161026_191214652_HDR.jpg

Not very impressive ginger, eh?

The darker brown one was from the store. It went in a pot and hung out just inside the greenhouse all summer. There were 2 other roots from that pot. They were even smaller than the 3 new roots in the picture.

There is another pot of ginger in the greenhouse. I don't expect much from that plant either. ... ginger ale recipe ;). Oh, maybe not ;).

Steve

Latest posts