Useful Flowers

Neko-Chan

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm interested in "useful" flowers, ie edible flowers, flowers that attract pollinators, and flowers that keep pests away, or flowers with medicinal values.

I have limited space, so if I'm going to plant anything, I want it to be a plant I can use.

Any suggestions?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well I would like to know more about your climate and where you are? Maybe would could pin down some good one's for you that will do well where you are.

You say limited space, do you mean very little space in a yard or you need these to do well in pots? Preferences on perennial or annual plants?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well you should get a good response from this one Neko' :).
Here's a few to start with... yarrow and feverfew are medicinal, beebalm and Joe Pye weed attract tons of pollinators here...
french marigolds are good in the garden as a nematode deterrent...
I'm interested in what others contribute too! :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I love the look, and taste, of chives. Also echinachea, purple coneflower, altho i like my plants too much to use the roots! And mint, any kind, but grow it in a pot or it may take over everything! Ohhhh lavender, my absolute favorite! And thyme, my other favorite. Ummm, basil, my true favorite. :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
I love the look, and taste, of chives. Also echinachea, purple coneflower, altho i like my plants too much to use the roots! And mint, any kind, but grow it in a pot or it may take over everything! Ohhhh lavender, my absolute favorite! And thyme, my other favorite. Ummm, basil, my true favorite. :lol:
Ahem... oh Heather? Apparently you haven't read the rules which clearly state you can only have ONE favorite! ;)
So maybe you could narrow that down girl!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
. . . And mint, any kind . . .
It is a huge family and useful for culinary purposes.

Bees love mint flowers, it is absolutely their favorite.

Bees love plants that produce umbel inflorescence and fennel is their definitive favorite.

Bees love brassicas and one of those is an overwhelming favorite - alyssum!

Steve
:hu :bee :hu

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sunsaver said:
I learn something new every time i come here.
And just what that might be, Sunsaver,

I'm sure you would have some trouble pinning down.

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do have some least favorites, too. I just discovered that some bee balm i salvaged is *gasp* PINK. I'm sorry, thats just not right. Who wants pink bee balm?? It's gotta go.

We didnt eventalk about flowers just for the sake of their pretty blooms. Blanket flower has to be EVERYONE'S favorite, certainly is mine... (do you thinkits funny that its not growing in my garden right now? Ya me too.) and um, yucca, it would be my favorite if it would just GROW NICELY in my garden. I really really like coreopsis.

Want to hear about my wildflower favorites?? Oops, i'm really getting off track here...what thread am i in again???

calendula

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, I'd like to recommend calendula. :)

July2011047.jpg

Latest posts