Using Vintage Kitchen Tools

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Smart Red - you're correct. Sometimes I'll hold onto a spatula or a potato peeler for a few additional seconds before I lay it down. Just a second or two to be with mom. Or I'll stop as I walk through the barn and look at the shovel, rake, or posthole digger hanging on the wall or maybe that old broken square bailer to say hi to dad. I'm not an extremely sentimental guy but, gee wizz, parents are special. Aren't they?
Now that both of my parents are gone, I find myself doing the same. SO many memories in even the smallest things. Bless you. :hugs

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, I agree with the others. I think a little rust in the diet is good for you. All the kitchen tools in this house are vintage.

Amen to that! I too love old kitchen utensils and find rust around the edges to be no hindrance to using them.

I LOVE old tools and will scan yard sales and estate auctions for them...they are built better than present day tools and I can get years and years of use out of them...and the old patina of the wood caused by honest work of the hands appeals to me like crazy.

Whenever I use some of Dad's old tools or Mom's old utensils I can feel the history of them warming my hands and blessing the efforts of my own work with them. There's an honesty and faith present in work worn old tools that makes me warm from the inside out. Putting my own hands there, my own sweat there and repeating those same, rhythmic actions with them brings me peace and joy, a connection with my past and with those people that is like no other. Can't really explain it better than that.

NYboy, some folks swear by using Coke to remove rust from metal, some swear by using vinegar. Would be interesting to see which agent works the best.

Here's a vid on using vinegar on a really rusty piece of sheet metal....

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ooooh, if that still works, it's a steal. I've been looking at new stainless steel ones and they are expensive, about $300 for one that capacity. And cast iron is infinitely better! You can totally scrub that up with steel wool, then re-season it. I don't think the crack will hurt anything if you don't fill it all the way to top, or with sausage it probably won't matter at all.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
My mom loved this
DSCF0210.JPG

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
In-laws slicer shredder. From a generation before! I used the smaller of the shredding plates for zucchini yesterday. Still cuts as good as new. I wish there was a middle size. (some rust cleanup needed on slicers.)
slice and shred.JPG

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Nyboy, Yes,yes and yes. My most loved tools were my fathers.
My wine press and granash were old when they came to this country, the wood slats were cut in northern Italy, who knows how long ago.

Some things I want made of glass or stanless, but there's nothing like a Carbon Steel Knife. Some things are dear because of their age, like an old friend.
We still have daddy's Model A 30 coup and momma'a 66 Buick Riviera.

You get an absolute yes.

Richard

Just looked at that press. That thing can be scrubed and blued like a rifle or heated an sealed like a cast iron frying pan.

Last edited:

Latest posts