Veggies that do well together

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
rockytopsis said:
That is exactly what we were looking for, thank you.
Nancy
You are very welcome. i had it stuck in a book laying right here. Normally I couldn't find anything that quickly. lol

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you know why some plants go together & others don't? Is it just a matter of attracting the same pests, or is is something else?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Just out of curiosity, do you know why some plants go together & others don't? Is it just a matter of attracting the same pests, or is is something else?
Some of it is how they grow...like beans using corn for suppot and some of it has to due with what each of them needs or adds to the soil.

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
Some plants repel insects or diseases that certain other plants are prone to. While other plants actually secrete hormones into the ground that are growth-inhibitive to others. It is really fascinating to read about.

To look it up online, just Google "Companion Planting". You'll find a wealth of information out there!

Shelly

rockytopsis

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sred98 I did what you said and found a lot of info, I bookmarked the companion planting page in my garden section.

Thank you all so much for all this info.
Nancy

sred98

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Glad you found what you were looking for! :D I have really noticed a difference in my garden since starting companion planting. I love it!

Shelly

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
sred98 said:
rockytopsis said:
Or that cancel each other out.

My daughter asked me this question and the only thing I could think of is not to grow watermellons and cukes together.

I got a lot of heirloom varieties and know to keep the hot peppers away from the sweet ones.

I think her question was more of is it ok to plant tomatoes next to corn, or green beans next to potatoes kind of thing.

Any thoughts on what not to plant next to what???
Potatoes and beans are a huge no-no. Tomatoes, peppers, basil, okra, all the "salsa and gumbo" veggies go together. Beans and corn are ok together. You grow the pole beans up the corn. ;)

I'll get my book out and make up a list for more common ones. I've got to get the kids to school, so it will be closer to 9AM CST.

Shelly
tomatoes and peppers (bell peppers anyway) should NOT be planted together, they will stunt the growth of at least the peppers.

ams3651

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
my most favorite gardening book is Carrots Love Tomatoes. Ive mentioned it before. I plan my garden according to it for insect control, disease resistance, and fortifying the ground. I love it.

Latest posts