Vote for Your Favorite!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
zsoup.png

I like ALL but we are talking about the Harvest and HomeMade.

Today will be the third time for me to make tomato soup this season. I Like It! So simple, just give me 15 minutes, a cutting board, blender and a soup pan. I can vary it a bit by variety of tomatoes, shallots/onions/garlic, bacon/sausage, salt/or salty seasoning, type of cheese ... need the cheese.

I've never made tortilla soup or matzo ball soup but our version of the pho is fairly common at the table. Clam isn't common but Fish Chowder is. Yes, I grew lentils ... once ... and decided that they were so low-yield that they make a more suitable field crop than for the garden. Like lentils but we can think of that bowl as "BEAN," if you'd like.

And, using your garden harvest -- What's Your Favorite???

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
None of the above. I just don't follow recipes that well if I have another option.

In Arkansas I'd raise chickens to butcher. Thursday I'd bake a chicken for supper, then debone the leftovers.

I'd make chicken broth with certain chicken parts and leftover bones. A lot of chicken broth.

I'd can vegetable soup in quart jars. I might buy a few things to go in the soup, I couldn't store white potatoes worth a darn up there and a vegetable soup needs white potatoes. I tried growing celery once and said no, not again. But I did grow celeriac, dehydrated it, and ground it to a powder. Good substitute for the celery flavor. Practically all of the herbs I used I grew myself, either dehydrated or used them fresh. I froze carrots, corn, green beans, green peas, and other things to use if they weren't fresh when I made soup. I'd often have kale or chard to add in. I used that chicken broth for the liquid instead of water. No two batches of soup were the same, what veggies and herbs I used depended on what I had. I did not measure proportions either.

Saturday night we'd open a quart of soup and toss in the leftover chicken for just the two of us. Heat that up and serve with cheese and crackers. Maybe a glass of wine if I didn't have something else to do after supper. An easy meal to prepare with minimal clean-up afterwards.

Steve, I consider that my favorite soup.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I didn't mean entirely made with home-grown.

Most people don't grow their own clams. It's been years since I milked a cow for the purpose of making a cheese good enough for my tomato soup - & anyway, it was the creamery that made the cheese from that milk ;).

I'd be dipping something with a nice crust in the French onion soup as a requirement and I haven't grown wheat to make bread yet.

Could we say that @Ridgerunner 's favorite is chicken & vegetable soup?

Steve

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Favorite home grown off of the list is probably chicken noodle.
But my favorites not on there are potato soup and egg drop soup (the kind with vegetable and and chicken or shrimp in it not the gelatinous oil and overcooked egg most places sell)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, don't leave fat on the broth and forget about adding the cornstarch, @Artichoke Lover ?

I make potato soup often. Except that, way over half the time, it has leftover tilapia going into it. Used to be that I would collect my own clams when I was living on the coast. Clam Chowder, New England style. Then, it had to be canned clams. Honestly, I prefer the fish to those.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So, don't leave fat on the broth and forget about adding the cornstarch, @Artichoke Lover ?

I make potato soup often. Except that, way over half the time, it has leftover tilapia going into it. Used to be that I would collect my own clams when I was living on the coast. Clam Chowder, New England style. Then, it had to be canned clams. Honestly, I prefer the fish to those.
No cornstarch. We do leave the fat on the broth, there’s not usually much in it though. I’ll post the recipe we use when I get done running errands.