We have baby bunnies!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's day 30, and this morning the doe's cage looked like a rabbit had exploded in there, fur everywhere. We had errands in town this afternoon, and when I looked this evening, the fur had been moved to the nest box and was moving! Tomorrow I will take the box out and count them. :) -Wendy

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Aww... I want to see pics!

Are these bunnies for your family and garden... or for eating?

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have my fingers crossed on my next batch. The doe is really too young to be bred but she got left in the grow out cage too long. So far she seems to be doing it right. She built a good nest but hasn't pulled much hair yet. Nights are pretty chilly here now so I'm a little concerned about keeping the kits warm. Maybe she'll pull more hair after she has them. Her mama is a great doe; almost never loses one. It should be in the next day or so but since she was bred accidentally I don't have a good fix on the date.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As requested (though they aren't really cute at one day old!) I count five white and one black. Everybody is moving around and squeaking, looks good for a first litter.

111206_5954 by wsmoak, on Flickr

(They are intended for dinner, with a side benefit of garden fertilizer. Back in the spring we had been talking about meat rabbits, and then DH saw ducks! and quail! and bunnies! at the feed store, and I was lucky to escape with two young rabbits, which at least turned out to be a breeding pair, though the buck doesn't have the greatest body type. Given what I have into food and cages I figure they can earn their keep with a couple of litters before we start over with proper meat rabbits.)

-Wendy

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The one right next to the black one looks like it might have brown spots? Or am I just seeing things? :lol:

Latest posts