We have baby bunnies!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I count 6; not bad for a first litter. You might wait till you see how these grow out before you swap the buck.

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
I count 6; not bad for a first litter. You might wait till you see how these grow out before you swap the buck.
The buck was hand raised and is super friendly, so he gets to stay as a pet if nothing else. He's hard to photograph, he's usually up at the front of the cage wanting to be petted. Or fed. Mostly fed, he eats like a horse! And those ears...

111206_5980 by wsmoak, on Flickr

-Wendy

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So far so good... two days and everybody is still alive. I guess she's feeding them. She's never in the nest box when I look.

I put a heat lamp on them because it's going to freeze tonight. They probably don't *need* it, they're in a nest box with a cardboard liner, shavings, straw, and what looks like two rabbits worth of fur piled on top. But it makes me feel better. Except now I'm worried about them getting *too* warm. Maybe I should buy them a heating mat instead...

-Wendy

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My first time doe has pulled some hair now but not enough to make a warm nest. She'll probably pull more to cover them once she has them; I hope so at least.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
So far so good... two days and everybody is still alive. I guess she's feeding them. She's never in the nest box when I look.

I put a heat lamp on them because it's going to freeze tonight. They probably don't *need* it, they're in a nest box with a cardboard liner, shavings, straw, and what looks like two rabbits worth of fur piled on top. But it makes me feel better. Except now I'm worried about them getting *too* warm. Maybe I should buy them a heating mat instead...

-Wendy
I wouldn't recomend a heating mat. Rabbits may chew into it.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the healthy kitts. If you are worried about the temps at night you can take the nest box in at night time and take it out at feeding time. Does don't really pay any attention to their kitts except for feeding twice a day. That is what we do with all of our winter born rabbits it works fine. Good luck with them!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Collector said:
Congrats on the healthy kitts. If you are worried about the temps at night you can take the nest box in at night time and take it out at feeding time. Does don't really pay any attention to their kitts except for feeding twice a day. That is what we do with all of our winter born rabbits it works fine. Good luck with them!
That explains things. :) I mean, I didn't expect her to sit on them like a hen does, but I thought more like a cat where she would sleep with them and be concerned if I took one away. She's totally not interested and doesn't care if I take out the nest box. She doesn't even check them when I put it back.

They are very active (it's a wonder they don't hurt each other with all that kicking!) and seem to be doing fine.

-Wendy