We have baby bunnies!

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yay! Someone in Georgia raising rabbits!

Congrats on the babies. I will be following your progress as we are seriously talking about adding meat rabbits to our "zoo".

What is your setup like? How do you cope with our heat and humidity in the summer? Is your cage setup indoors? Questions, questions!

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Five days old -- little bunny ears and itty bitty bunny teeth. :D

111210_5986 by wsmoak, on Flickr

They're just in wire cages from the hardware store and we threw together a wood structure with a plywood roof to put them in. Summer wasn't fun, but we have lots of shade, and I gave them ceramic tiles and frozen soda bottles to keep them cool.

I'm going to re-purpose that shelter as a brooder for chicks and we'll do something similar with the rabbit cages suspended instead of sitting on the wood frame -- minor design flaw, it's hard to clean.

-Wendy

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is the reason why I don't think I'm strong enough for meat rabbits... the picture came up and I said "awwwwwwwww!! They are so cuuuuuuuute!" :lol:

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
They are moving around the nest box now that they have better control of their little legs, and their eyes are just beginning to open.

I built them a 2.5 x 3 foot wire cage today so they will have lots more room once they come out of the nest box.

-Wendy

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
That is the reason why I don't think I'm strong enough for meat rabbits... the picture came up and I said "awwwwwwwww!! They are so cuuuuuuuute!" :lol:
LOL! That's exactly what I said - nope, can't do meat rabbits.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Southern Gardener said:
nachoqtpie said:
LOL! That's exactly what I said - nope, can't do meat rabbits.
Totally me too!!!

I would cuddle them to death and I would NEVER let them be lunch. :tongue

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Husband still wants them. I suspect that the first time I've got to take him to the hospital because a bunny has taken the tip of his finger off... he'll change his mind. :lol:

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Husband still wants them. I suspect that the first time I've got to take him to the hospital because a bunny has taken the tip of his finger off... he'll change his mind. :lol:
Fortunately biters are rare and it's usually just enough to warn you off when they're cranky. Most of us cull biters right away.
Those hind legs are what you want to watch out for. If they feel insecure or get startled they can rake you pretty good. Rabbits rarely hurt you on purpose though. It's usually your own fault for handling them carelessly.
I've always said you can tell rabbit raisers by the scars on their arms. ;)

Latest posts