Weather. A little unreal . . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hu

We may have had a record high today. The hour-by-hour from NOAA said that it was 53F at one point this afternoon! The record high for today is 55 set in 1893! I was out about 25 miles to the west, today. Yesterday, I was about the same distance to the northwest. All this without getting over about 500 feet higher in elevation. There was no snow in either direction!

A little unreal for early January . . .

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know! It's uncannily like April, no snow even on the local mountains except for little patches. I still have snow in the shade, but I noticed this evening when I collected the days eggs that there are already little weeds sprouting!
It's so strange. The chickens are loving it tho', since I've been letting them free range as long as the soil in the beds is still frozen.

What if we get an early summer Steve? Everybody will be able to hear us WooHooing! :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My son is in Montana and he had planned for a cold winter but he said the weather is beautiful. Clear skies and warm weather. We are freezing here but I think we are going back up to the 50's this weekend. Wonder what the freaky little ground hog's going to say next month.

cityfarmer

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It was about 60 here today. Makes me chomp at the bit even more even though I know these temps won't last. We will be back in the 40s this weekend.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, 6am here and the overnight temperature never dropped below 40F, I don't think!

Yesterday, a record high in Kalispell, Montana. In Washington state: Pullman and in Walla Walla, where it didn't just top the old record - beat it by 9!

April!? Well, I guess so. But, April of 2011 was part of the coldest start to the growing season, ever! Put us thru the mill, that weather did! Yeah, I think we are having April of 2011 weather in early January of 2012.

Steve

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
We actually have finally had a couple inches of snow! This is the craziest winter I can remember. I was pulling weeds in the garden (ground not frozen) on New Years Day!! My chickens have really enjoyed the wacky weather too, thistle. Scheduled for the 40's tomorrow. Many of my herbs are still green! As long as, winter doesn't decide to come in May- I am not complaining (too much!)

gardentoad

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
64 here today and 68 tomorrow this is about 15 or 20 degrees above normal if you can say Oklahoma has a normal temp. Also it has been pretty dry, we are hoping for an early spring and mild. Summer... We don't need anymore 115's

Don

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is unusual here is that we've had no rain. Now, I know that having drought years is not uncommon but even then we have light rain. The ski resorts are hurting with no snow and Tahoe has set records for warm temps. There is no rain in sight. I will have to really be frugal with my water so that there is enough for the garden. I've been know to take showers every other day to conserve water! Gotta get my husband to take 2 minute showers instead of 15!

Mary

Latest posts