Weather. A little unreal . . .

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
I've been know to take showers every other day to conserve water! Gotta get my husband to take 2 minute showers instead of 15!

Mary
Just as a aside, it wasn't until indoor plumbing with hot and cold running water became commonplace that daily bathing became de rigueur. If you've ever seen "The Music Man" you'll remember that Prof. Harold Hill, in the song Trouble mentions "until you're left with the cistern empty on a Saturday night" eluding to the than common practice of the Saturday night bath.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll tell you what . . . standing in lines with those old guys that practiced that long ago bathing schedule had a lifetime influence on my own behavior!

Northern Cal and further north has been getting about 1/2 the rain that could be expected. I said something about that the other day to someone in Arizona.

He said, "Oh no! The snow came early and it's still around!" I looked at what NOAA had to say about December in his part of AZ and sure enuf, below normal temps thru the month and a little above for precip . . .

The valley where I have lived for over 40yrs has a very large aquifer. I have thought about a "grey water" discharge for the backyard but haven't acted on it. One thing about over-use of water here -- if it doesn't run into our storm or sewer systems and cause problems there, it just re-charges the aquifer. Something I am concerned about is the energy use that's required to get it out of the ground and moved around. Power, power, power - everything takes power! Then, if we burn our resources . . .

I think this will be a good day to wash some towels and heavy things and put them out on the line. More electricity to dry clothes & pump heat outdoors? Maybe I can get back to my summertime clothespins. Don't usually need them for my nose when I'm at the post office, these days ;).

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm right there with you on the line drying! Just got the sheets hung, and the comforter is next. There's a stiff breeze going on and that always helps even if the temps don't get very high. Maybe I'll do a load of jeans too... I'm lovin' this sunshine!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
What the heck?

Wildfires on Blackfeet Reservation Force Evacuations

Reading my regional news this morning . . . I had to go back to the top of the page to check the date!!! Yes, today! Wildfires in northern Montana on January 5th??

Steve
Yeah, insane weather huh?! I have half a mind to drive over Marias Pass and take a look at the fires, only an hour or so away, i heard this morning that they're at 17,000 acres burned! 60-70 mph wind gusts yesterday, and continued high wind warnings.

HunkieDorie...where is your son in MT? Just visiting??

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Weird weather is right! My DH is working in northern Alberta and the road to Fort Mac is closed because of snowfall but they are having trouble building the road (about an hour from Fort Mac) because the muskeg isn't frozen.

Now southern Alberta had high winds (117 kph) yesterday with road closures because of grass fires. Some people between Calgary and the US border needed to be evacuated because of the fires.

We have no snow and have been having rain off and on all week but that is not too strange here. What is strange is my parents live in Saskatchewan and are having similar weather. They are above 0 C when they often are -30+F.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember when the TV weather person would tell us where it was the "coldest in the US" and Cut Bank, Montana would be the place half the time? Well, it was 53F in Cut Bank yesterday. Their record for the date is -43!

Anyway, I don't suppose that temperature is all that important news but the 60mph winds over there again yesterday sure couldn't have been appreciated! Here is a story about the aftermath of the fires in Alberta, just to the north: (click)

Wind gusts here went up to 40mph - my dish towel on the line was tied in a knot :rolleyes:. Things have calmed down here as I hope they have on the other side of the mountains! We are getting real close to only 1/2 the normal precipitation that should have fallen since September. I'm not wishing any -43 on northern Montana but an 8" snowfall might be of some help to the folks in that part of the world. I'll tell you what, it isn't very good news for the rest of the Great Plains that this corner is burning right now . . .

Steve :/

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I talked to my son in MT again yesterday and yes the weather was very warm but he said they were expected 2 ft of snow which is good because he said that you could see the grass which is very weird for the Montana Rockies this time of the year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I should hasten to say:

The ski areas are all open and have snow!

Just noticed that the one on the pass over to Montana has 64" at the summit. So, if you are planning on flying in for a skiing vacation . . .

Steve :)

Sprinkler Buddy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This wet cold weather we have had in N Central FL is for the birds. In the teens in the mourning the other day. I'm already ready for Spring! I live in FL for a reason! LoL

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Latest posts