Weather. A little unreal . . .

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
After yesterday's 47mph wind gusts and horizontal snow flurries. . .

. . . it is snowing hard now.

Real winter, here we are!

OG, you just went thru months of a drought that set records!

HPQueen, sooo glad our thermometer showed 35F for the afternoon with all that wind! As it was, the windchill before sun-up was down in the single digitS'!

Do you know what -40F is on JoJo's centigrade scale? It is -40C! A match! I suppose that it's still true for windchill . . .

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We've had frost for the last week here which is very unusual. Brrrrr...is it cold in the mornings! Much needed rain is expected for the next 4 days. Got my 2 rasberries planted about a week ago, hope it was o.k to do so.

Mary

HotPepperQueen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh my goodness! I think the next ice age is beginning here today! Woke up and it was -21 degrees F without the windchill. With windchill it is -45. We have 25mph winds on top of it too. Not to mention it is snowing like crazy and we already have 3 inches. When I woke up and saw how cold it was, I jumped up and put my boots and coat on and ran to the chicken coop. I have both heat lamps on and it is still only 17 degrees in the coop. Lucky for me I have some smart hens that sit on their eggs when it's cold and hop right up when they see me- no frozen eggs, yay! :weee Keep in mind my coop is fully insulated (floor, walls, and roof)....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brutal!!

HotPepperQueen said:
. . . no frozen eggs, yay! :weee Keep in mind my coop is fully insulated (floor, walls, and roof)....
My coop is too . . . however, I haven't even closed the pop door so far this winter. The one night in the single digitS' kind of snuck up on me but it hasn't been very cold.

It was 19F this morning and raining!! I thought it was raining when I went out in the dark to shovel snow. Turns out - it was! Airport Weather Station confirmed and airport was closed for several hours. The rain (still can't believe it :rolleyes:) has turned to heavy snow.
snowflks_falling_lg_clr.gif

_______Steve______

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, winter has finally arrived here as well... We really made it to mid-January with no winter weather to speak of. Now it is very cold and snow is on tap for the next few days. Still nothing building up and a very easy winter- so far! 62 days until spring!!!!

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We had snow in January too, up here in northeast Michigan but it keeps melting! Now it's late February, usually the coldest month of the year and it's 41 outside! And Monday it hit 51!!!! It's nuts, but I kind of like it.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my neighbor and I were talking today and I told her that I'd already started our seeds and she was very concerned, she said "You know it sometime snow in March!" (she's from the Philippines) and I said "Josie, it better not snow in March! I've got too much gardening to do!" she just laughed.

Today the high was 69, and tomorrow and Friday 73, and then this weekend it's supposed to be rainy with highs in the mid to low 50s, and the rain is supposed to start on Sunday.

I've got to get my flower beds cleaned out today so Josie (my neighbor) and I can get some flowers planted! Here's to hoping that we have a milder summer and they don't die again this year!