Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something to reassure @Marie2020 (and, comfort [mislead] me).

Our 2020 precipitation total to date is at 10", normal is 11". It is unusual for this location to go so long without rain but there was a normal amount of rain and snow during the early weeks of the year. Snow in the mountains did not melt quickly.

I realize (British English, realise) that the dry air must be stressful on trees and other plants in our higher elevation forests. However, I'm hoping that soil moisture to date has been adequate, or close to normal.

Autumn rains often arrive in late September and those rains herald a plunge in temperature. We have a chance of rain next week but it doesn't look like things are quite where we can be confident of some helpful levels. Lower temperatures will help when they arrive.

Fires have mostly been in low elevations here in the northern latitudes. So far ...

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, that lightning storm i reported on here last month made fires that are still burning. it finally cooled off some...but we've traded hotville for Mars. The sky!I'm used to red or yellow sky from fires, but infrared? oh, and that mendocino complex fire, burning and merging since august 16 am, is working on surrounding my old digs up at lake pillsbury..

I drove out to bodega bay, went to the bodega dunes campground, and saw smoke right down to the ocean. waves splashing in smoke from a fire 100 miles away. never saw that before.

reminds me of the late carboniferous! the world was so covered with plants, the heavier atmosphere got up to 35% oxygen. chemists can tell by isotopes in the coal. o2 would get to a threshold, then boom, worldwide forest fires.
Good morning Marshall,

I have to go up to Petaluma next Friday for chicken feed and flour. I hope it's not worse up there than here or that by then the air will improve.

Take care.

Mary

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
In our neck of the woods ( about 10 miles away ) is Portland, Ore.. The news reporters have been touting that this town had and still has the WORST AIR QUALITY IN THE WORLD for this past week. Oh boy, it is bad... so bad that we can't see the SUN and the air smells of heavy smoke.I wear 3 masks ( one over the other_) just to take out our Chihuahua to go potty in our back yard. :th Monday, we have a chance of a shower on Mon. evening. :fl

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
As of this morning it looks like Sally is headed this way. She's expected to intensify into a hurricane but will lose some power before she gets this far inland. The current forecast calls for her to pass here about 9:00 to 10:00 Tuesday morning, that's when the winds change direction. Wind speed of 60 mph (95 kilometers per hour) for a short time. The different computer models don't totally agree and I expect some changes. These storms don't always hit the bull's eye but right now the bull's eye has me written on it. Sally is a relatively small storm as far as these things go which makes her a little harder to forecast.

That's enough wind to cause power outages, I expect that, but I don't expect any serious property damage here, I don;t have trees. The surge is a real risk for many people but I'm inside the flood walls which means I'll be OK. Some people will be hurt from the storm surge. Exactly who gets how much will depend a lot on where Sally comes ashore. Just a few miles east or west can be the difference in somebody's disaster and whew, I missed that.

Sally is relatively slow moving which means she has the ability to drop a lot of rain. I'm high enough up that I'm not worried about that but you will see some photos. There will be flooding form train.

We are not planning on evacuating, it just doesn't look that bad. I'll finish up my precautions today. I would much rather face this than those fires. Those fires scare me.

Latest posts