Weather Where You Are

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman , I now start so many things for transplant instead of direct sowing.

Maybe it's surprisingly that I didn't do that a decade plus, ago. I've had a backyard greenhouse since the early 90's and worked in one, way back when. With care, I can get most everything out there and where I want it. No, I don't do beans that way. I haven't had any trouble moving bean plants when I've felt the need, however. Corn, squash, melons, cucumbers ... it's not like that there are so many seedlings to move.

It also doesn't really give me any great big start, either. I figure that I lose half the time that I put into them so 6 weeks becomes 3 because of transplanting shock, more or less. Besides, indoor room is needed. So, I certainly won't advocate the practice for everyone. But, if you couldn't get the seed planted out between 3 and 6 weeks ago ...

Wishing You the Best of Luck :)

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know I've been quiet lately, due to the exceptionally cool wet Spring derailing my garden plans. Today I finally was able to put in all the plants & seedlings I had waiting to go into my home plots. Up until just a few days ago, it had been raining almost constantly, to the point where the garden never dried out enough to cultivate... so I started everything indoors under lights, even the beans & soybeans. Glad to finally get them planted; I was getting close to my "drop dead" date of July 1st, when I would scrap all of the seed crops, and put in only vegetables harvested immature.

Because of the weather, it looks like my rural garden will again remain fallow, with the exception of the garlic bed. That has been impassible up until now, and is badly in need of weeding. I've never felt the need to use raised beds, and they are mostly impractical given the scale of my garden; but if this wet weather pattern continues, I may need to build some to grow garlic properly.

because of the flash flooding we can get here most of the gardens out back are raised up at least a bit so they don't soak for days. the garlic i grow may not be the best but it seems to do ok in clay. just is a pain to harvest and clean up if it is too rainy when the time is due.

always glad to see you when you pop in. :)

the bunching onions are doing great! :) they are flowering now and i'm having a lot of fun watching the various bee species that have been visiting. i wish i could get a pic but the camera is broke. :(

yes, raining here again too. at least we had three days in a row without rain for a change...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
At highs of 70, don’t expect a lot from your sweet corn. While a grass, it does like some warmth......;):frow

If you were 78 all year long, you would be Hawaii....& a little higher cost of living.....Seattle would be the new San Fran Cisco....

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
At highs of 70, don’t expect a lot from your sweet corn. While a grass, it does like some warmth......;):frow

If you were 78 all year long, you would be Hawaii....& a little higher cost of living.....Seattle would be the new San Fran Cisco....
I don't think Hawaii is more expensive than us.

Mary

Latest posts